Chapter 4 : Snow Ball part 1

Joyce Byers was teaching her youngest son Will Byers how to dance for the Snow Ball, although Will knew pretty much well that it wouldn't come in handy, given that he was what people liked to call a "zombie boy", and even without that, many people had assumed him to be a little faggot, and Will had no idea how he came to have that sweet nickname.

Jonathan was being annoying with his camera, recording this whole mother-son dance practice session.

"Do you have to record everything?" Will asked, trying to sound annoyed, but he clearly failed at that.

"No, only the good things." Jonathan smirked and Will rolled his eyes. He wasn't even a little bit excited for the Snow Ball.

Will still hadn't met Eleven for some reason. He had spent almost a week in the hospital after everything finally ended, because he was caught by a dangerously high fever, and his mental state wasn't so good either. The visions never helped, visions of the time he had suffered in the Upside Down, and visions of the time he was possessed by the Mind Flayer. The visions were lesser now, but they are still not fully over.

Will was kept asleep most of the time, because he needed nothing more than sleep and lots of rest back then. Dustin had told him that Eleven had came to visit him twice with the risk of her life as well as after tolerating hundreds of naggings of Hopper. Will was astonished thinking how Eleven was close to him the whole time, but she was kept hidden by Hopper. It made him kind of angry, but he knew Hopper meant good. Both of the times Eleven had visited, Will was found asleep. She had stayed for about ten minutes, constantly asking the doctor when he would wake up, or why he cannot be woken up this instant and put back to sleep later. None of that worked, and Eleven had to leave without being able to talk to Will.

When Will got to know, he felt really sad. He badly wanted to meet her, for a long time. And he was pretty sure Hopper wouldn't let her come to the Snow Ball. Will sympathized with Mike, he sympathized with the whole party. There was only one girl, Max, and it was unlikely that she would dance with any of them, but Dustin had told him that if they did, it would surely be with Lucas. It didn't take Will any effort to know Dustin's jealousy on this topic.

Great. All of my friends are in love. All except me. Will thought bitterly. It was almost funny. He never thought that anyone of his nerdy gang would be interested in girls.

.......

As the party minus Eleven and Dustin were talking sitting around a table on the Snow Ball, Will quietly asked Mike, "Is Eleven coming?" He hadn't wanted to ask him this in case he got the wrong idea, but did anyways.

"I don't think she is. El has a strict father." Mike said, and Will laughed softly. Almost everyone called her Jane now, which was her real name, but Mike still called her El and Will called her Eleven. He didn't want to call her in the short form, since it feels like something only Mike is allowed to do.

He felt a tug on his heart, but couldn't figure out the reason behind it.

"I know you want to meet her," Mike said, smiling.

"I do. But it feels like God doesn't want that." Will laughed again, not quite meaning the laughter.

"We could go to Hopper's house tomorrow to meet her. I was planning to go anyway."

"Oh thanks, but i'll pass." Will quickly says, but he felt the familiar discomfort of telling a lie,"I think you should spend more time with her. You deserve to."

Will didn't want to be the third wheel between two people madly in love. Especially not when one of them was his best friend and the other was his savior.

Mike looked embarrassed for a while, and Will thought if he shouldn't have said that. Mike was about to say something, just as the others let out gasps. Will turned, and saw Dustin coming towards them. Only, Dustin's hair looked like a bird's nest.

.........

Just like Dustin predicted, Max chose Lucas.

Will had turned to look at Dustin, maybe say something, but the way Dustin looked made him change his mind.

Just then, a girl came up to their group of three. He recognized her as Brittany Crossworth. She wasnt as popular as Stacey, but she was popular enough.

Will expected her to go over to Mike, and felt bad because he was sure Mike would reject her. But Brittany had came over to him, to Will's surprise, and had said, "Hey Zombie Boy. Wanna dance?"

Will was unprepared beyond means. For a moment, he thought she might have made a mistake. But no one else had the name of Zombie Boy right? Then he thought that maybe she was pranking him, in order to make fun of him. Or maybe it was a dare given by her friends. Either way, he was not ready to dance with her. Confused, he looked at Mike and back at the girl. Mike will know the solution.

Mike pushed him towards her.

Thank you very much.

"Sure." Will said in his best gentleman voice. But his baby voice ruined it whole.

He went forward to Brittany, and put his hands awkwardly on her waist. She put her hands on his shoulders, confident and smiling, and they started to dance. Will's heart throbbed. He wasn't much used to girls. He also rarely talked with Max about anything other than gaming.

"So, where were you for the last two weeks? You never came to school?" Brittany asked.

Will decided not to say that he was possessed by a Shadow Monster.

"Chicken pox." He said shortly, because that was the only thing that came to mind. She frowned.

"There are no marks of chicken pox in your face though. Is there any on your neck?" She leaned her face closer to his to check on his neck, which was mostly covered by the collar of his shirt. Will felt his face heat up.

"Uh no. The marks are all over my body. Not many on my neck." 

"I see."

Will was debating whether to ask it or not, but he did it anyways, "Why me? There are other boys." Will asked, looking down.

"Well," Brittany thought for a while and said, "I don't know. I wanted to talk to you, and....you seem nice actually."

Will snorted, and looked at her in the eye, "But I am a Zombie Boy. And a fag, a queer, and what-not."

"And how long are you gonna let people calling you these what-nots?"

"Huh? What do you mean?"

"If you aren't any of these, when are you gonna start telling people that?"

"Well i'm telling you." Will said, suddenly feeling protestive, "I'm not a Zombie Boy."

She laughed, and Will felt embarrassed beyond measure.

"That kindness won't always work, honey."

He was about to say something, just as he saw Mike over Brittany's shoulder. He was standing up, looking somewhere with dazed eyes. Will followed his gaze, and saw a beautiful girl standing on the doorway.

.
.
.
.
.

Hello FAM! Thanks a lot for supporting this book. I'm sorry I'm not regular in updating, but I'm trying my best.

Just a note, I had wrote this part of the story long ago in a fanfiction for this writing event in Strangers Things Amino, and I figured that this would be the perfect place to put it, so yeah!

Will meets Eleven next chapter. What do you think will happen? What do you think of this chapter? Let me know in the comments!!

Also, if you guys enjoy my writing, i would be very grateful if you check out my story in my other account fortheloveofscifi ! No, it isn't a fanfic, it is my original novel, and I'm working very hard on it. Hope you would check it out.

See ya!