No Rest for the Weary

And here's some more angst XD

__Captain Thaladir's Point of View__

I stepped out of the royal living quarters in a daze. He blamed me for his disappearance. He blamed me. My head pounded. He was right to do so. If I hadn't steered the prince away from his better judgment, we should have slept by the road and he would be here now or in Imladris. The world swayed and I leaned against the wall as my legs trembled.

I forced my legs to work under me as I moved forward. I couldn't remember when I had last slept. Dolenel had suffered a minor injury when a small clan of spiders attacked and I had no choice but to stay up with the night watch as he recovered. I had to make it home. I hadn't seen my family in two years. I sent back a few letters, but they were never able to send responses as they never knew where I was.

I made it to the end of the hall before my stomach flipped. I stumbled to my knees, trying to keep from throwing up what little food was left in my stomach. I squeezed my eyes shut as my vision and hearing tunneled.

"Sir?" someone asked, male from what little I could tell. He sounded as if he covered his mouth when he spoke. "Sir, are you alright?" I shook my head then felt myself pitching forward. I assume he caught me as my face never hit the floor.

"Thaladir!" he exclaimed. "Dear, Valar what happened to you?"

I slowly forced my eyes open, catching a glimpse of an ellon's face. He was a guard and use to trail Legolas when he was younger. "Himon," I whispered, a slight smile pulling at my mouth. It had been years since I had seen him.

He nodded. "Aye, it is I. What happened? Are you hurt?"

I shook my head. "Tired..." I furrowed my brow, wondering when I had become so exhausted I could no longer hold myself up. He looked at me and frowned.

"Let's get you home, captain. You can rest then." I nodded and he helped me to my feet and taking most of my weight, he lead me away from the royal halls and out of the palace gate. The night blurred past as I focused solely on placing one foot in front of the other. Valar, how many times have I had to do this?

My eyes felt heavy and I began to stumble more and more until the little cabin finally came into view. Tears pricked the corners of my eyes at the sight. It had been so long and I suddenly relized how much I missed this place.

"Come on," Himon said, dragging me forward. "Let's get you to your family."

I let out a laugh, a bit of energy trying to spark in my veins, though Himron still held me upright. He didn't bother knocking and opened the door, leading me inside. He helped me over to the couch and I sunk down into it gratefully, eyes sliding shut before my head even touched the fabric.

"Thaladir?" the voice immediately woke me. Faervel knelt before me. I smiled and she pushed my hair back from my face. "Are you hurt?" I shook my head, but she still looked to Himron. He shook his head from where he sat, stirring up the fire.

"I don't believe so," he said. "But he's exhausted and likely hungry." My sister nodded and turned back to me.

"You've worked yourself into the ground too far this time, brother." Her expression dropped. "Did you find any sign of the prince?"

I shook my head, closing my eyes. Their figures were beginning to blur and their euphonious voices, distant. She placed a kiss on my forehead. "You'll find him. I know you will. But for now, rest. You won't be going anywhere for awhile on my watch."

"Can't..." I said. Oblivion pulled at my conscience. "King said I had to head out again in the morning..." My words trailed off and I felt her hand still on my arm. She began to mumble something, but I was too far gone to heed her protests.