1| one

Ella's POV

I pulled my shirt over my head as I looked over at Ethan who was trying to catch his breath. I grabbed my sweatpants from the floor and quickly put them on as I walked into the bathroom. I looked at the fresh love bites on my collarbone as they were starting to turn a deep purple. I sighed as I grabbed my concealer from my makeup draw and covered up my hickey's.

"I'm proud of these." Ethan said as he walked into my bathroom and leaned against the door frame. I rolled my eyes at him as he had a smug look on his face. I finished covering up my marks as I tossed my concealer back into the draw and looked over at Ethan.

"I hate you." I muttered as I walked past him and into my bedroom. I was going to have to go out of my way everyday to hide these marks.

"You know you love me." Ethan whispered as he stood close to me. I lightly smiled at him as a smirk appeared onto his face. I lightly pushed him as I turned around and sat on my bed.

"I should probably head home." Ethan said as he pulled his shirt over his head, and threw his snapback on backwards. I nodded my head as I unlocked my phone to text Miyah. Ethan walked over to me and placed a wet kiss on my neck as he mumbled 'bye' against my skin. I smiled up at him as he walked out of my room, and soon out of my house. I leaned back into my bed as I let out a sigh.

I couldn't believe I let him in again.

MONDAY

"Ella you didn't, did you?" Miyah, my best friend, asked as she palmed her forehead. I nodded my head in embarrassment as I told her I slept with Ethan yesterday. Miyah doesn't like Ethan a whole lot considering he sleeps with other girls at our school, but somehow always comes back to me.

"Miyah, I'm sorry, but we all know how I feel about Ethan." I said as I lightly closed my locker and started walking towards our first hour. Miyah wasn't happy with my decision already knowing what was going to happen because it was the same old cycle.

"Did he text you at all last night or this morning?" She asked as we already knew the answer. I shook my head in shame as she let out a sigh.

"Ella, you could do so much better. Ethan sleeps with you then ghosts you until he wants to smash again. He's not right for you." Miyah said for what felt like the hundredth. She always told me this speech after I told her I slept with Ethan. Truth is she wasn't wrong. Ethan used me for his needs. I just couldn't put my finger on why I always went back to him.

"I should get to class." I said as I didn't want to carry on this conversation any longer. Miyah nodded her head as she walked in the opposite direction as me. I headed towards my class as it was down the west hallway. I was bound to run into Ethan, or spot him considering his locker was down this hallway.

Just as I suspected he was at his locker, but someone was standing there with him. I furrowed my eyebrows as I spotted Sophia standing there. I felt my heart tighten at the fact that she was standing there laughing with him when she has told me numerous that she hated him. None of my friends could stand Ethan, but there was Sophia standing there laughing with him.

I shook my head as I tried to get rid of the negative thoughts and continued walking to my first hour. I couldn't deny how good Ethan looked today. The gray crew neck hugged his toned body nicely as the dark jeans completed his look. I ignored his stare as his eyes flicked from Sophia's to mine. I didn't want to look at him, and I didn't want to look at Sophia either. Miyah was not going to be happy with the fact that Sophia was talking to Ethan.

"Ella wait up!" I heard someone say loudly as I turned around and spotted Sophia walking towards me. It took everything in me not to turn around and walk away from her, but instead I sent her a fake smile as she walked closer to me.

"What were you doing at Ethan's locker?" I asked as we started walking towards our first hours. Sophia was in class with me so I was going to find out either way.

"Oh, he just invited me over to help him with his English project." She said as it seemed like no big deal. I nodded my head at her knowing there was no English project that was assigned. I couldn't get mad at the fact Ethan was going to sleep with other girls, but I could get mad at Sophia considering she claims she hates him.

"I thought you hated him?" I said as I had just thought about it. She bit the inside of her cheek trying to figure out what to say. I walked into the classroom and took my usual seat as Sophia sat next to me.

"He's not that bad. I don't understand why Miyah doesn't like him." she said as I nodded my head. I just wanted to drop the subject before I got even madder. Ethan wasn't mine, but I still had feelings for him. He only talked to me because we have sex with each other. I wouldn't consider it friends with benefits since friends with benefits still talk to each other in school. Ethan was different, and was an asshole.

His twin brother, Grayson, was the complete opposite of him. He was the sweetest out of the Dolans besides their older sister Cameron. Grayson and I were actually friends, but it's different with Ethan. Ethan will text me out of the blue and then don't respond once I do. I sigh as he consumes my thoughts as class starts. I rest my chin on my hand as the teacher starts her lesson. I close my eyes as I can't listen to her voice any longer.

----------
an: hi guys! i hope you guys enjoyed the first chapter of why. this book is going to be mainly based off of Why by Bazzi, but other chapters will be inspired by other songs such as Cartier, Changed, and Honest. hope you guys enjoyed this new book, and see you in the next chapter.