I Become an Anime Character

I was right about not being able to sleep. But it wasn't because of the comfy mattress, I just had too many thoughts running through my mind. I had tried breaking into Alwin's home only a little over 24 hours ago and my life had done a complete 180. 

At 3am, I finally managed to fall asleep for a while before Alwin came to check on me. He wasn't subtle about it, either. The door squealed as he opened it, jolting me awake. 

"Sorry, boyo, didn't realize you were still sleeping. You missed breakfast so I thought I'd let you know I just started making lunch," Alwin said.

"What time is it?"I asked groggily.

"Almost noon."

I groaned and covered my face with the sheets.

"If you'd like, I have a computer downstairs that you can use to update your grandparents."

That was all the motivation I needed to get up. 

"It's in my office. Second door on the right at the bottom of the stairs," Alwin explained and then set something on the ground in front of him. It was a pile of clothes. "You should probably shower first, though. I can smell you from here," with that, Alwin turned on a heel and headed back toward the kitchen to resume lunch.

________________________________________________________________________________

The shower was the best thing to happen to me since before I got evicted from my apartment. My dirty grayish hair shined star-white and you could see my olive skin once all the dirt was rubbed off. Unfortunately, cleaning off the grime brought all the signs of malnutrition out. I looked like a bony ghost boy. Nonetheless, I felt great and I smelled better. 

The clothes Alwin had given me were much too large, but very comfortable. It looked like he'd given me an all-white outfit consisting of one of those pirate-looking shirts with the flowy sleeves and cotton pants to match. I felt a little ridiculous, but I wasn't one to criticize the old man's sense of style. I'd been wearing the same three outfits for two months without washing them. 

Alwin's office was small and dust was collecting on top of the computer, showing me just how little he used it. I'd have to do some cleaning in here if I was going to avoid developing asthma.

Luckily, his wifi was still current and working, so I had no problem pulling up my email. There were a few spam messages and one message from my grandma that she sent almost two weeks ago.

Ciao amore mio,

Why don't you respond? Me and Nonno haven't heard from you in weeks! We are worried about you.

I know you are busy with work ma, ti prego, per favore get back to me when you can. You are my only grandson. 

How is work going? Do you still work at that nice restaurant you sent pictures of? How are college applications? Let me and Nonno know if you need help with tuition. We want to see our passerotto go to a good school. Nonno claims that he has a friend that could help out if Nonno helps with a favor every once in a while, but I know that that man works for the diavolo. I am sure we can pull some of the funds from the laundromat to help you out. 

Business has been booming lately! Maybe we will be able to buy one of those phones where I can call you internationally and see your face. I keep telling Nonno we should just save up for  tickets to Boston, but he says we need to stay for now and work while the business is good.

Comunque, get back to me as soon as possible. I miss you.

Con amore,

Your Nonna