A Family History Lesson

A/N: Hey guys! Long time no see! I just got back from several weeks of travel abroad so I haven't had much time to update. Fortunately, I'm back and with new inspiration.

Above is the character board I made for Gene since you guys will be seeing more of her from now on. She's honestly one of my favorite characters and I hope you all enjoy her, too. 

Without further ado, here's chapter 12!

We sat for a while. Gene was quiet at first, deciding where to start. She told me that Alwin, Sora, and my father were close friends their entire lives. They lived near each other, bonded with dragons around the same time, and were all in the same year at Rider school. Apparently, that's where Gene met them all– at Rider school. 

"He was a very handsome fellow," Gene said, "He had this dark hair that swept over his eyes and all the ladies were crazy for it. Claimed he looked edgy." She giggled. "Rhode wasn't interested in anyone, though. The only thing he cared about was adventure. He would disappear from the Citadel for days at a time and return with gifts from all over the world for Alwin and Sora."

She held up her right hand and the sun caught on a green gem set in a wooden ring on her middle finger, intricate swirls decorated the band. 

"He got the three of them matching rings from one of his trips," she brought her hand closer for me to inspect it. "This one is Alwin's. The kook wants me to marry him, but I told him he'll have to move back to the Citadel first. Men," Gene huffed, "Thinking he can get away with putting the damn nursery before me."

I wanted to get a closer look at the ring, but Gene pulled away to stroke Asta's side.

"My mom definitely wasn't a Rider. How did they meet?" I asked.

Gene gave me a small smile.

"Another one of his adventures I suppose. He was gone for almost three months at one point. Claimed that he only came back because he knew he had to uphold his title as High Keeper. It wasn't a good look, but Rhode didn't seem to care," Gene's eyes seemed to glint, "He came back from that trip practically floating and he wouldn't stop talking about a woman named Isabella."

My heart felt like it stopped. I wanted to urge Gene to continue her story, but my mouth wouldn't form any words. 

My mother. Isabella Romano-Hale. 

"Your mother had him utterly enraptured. And when he brought her to the Citadel, everyone else loved her, too. We were skeptical of an outsider, at first, but we changed our minds eventually. She was always helping out around the Aviary and would greet everyone she saw in town," Gene continued.

I inhaled sharply, "My mother had been in the Citadel?"

Gene turned her gaze away from Alwin's ring and toward me, "Yes, she lived here for almost two years until she gave birth to you."

"What made her leave?" My previously frozen mouth was now burning with questions.

"When your parents saw your white hair, they knew that you were meant for Astarot. And, at the time, the Citadel was not a safe place for you. Rhode forced Isabella to leave with you to the human realm in order to keep you both safe. Your father stayed behind to fulfill his duty as protector of the Citadel," Gene smirked, "Isabella did not leave happily, but she knew that your safety was the most important thing at that moment."

"Well, at least that explains why she stayed so angry at him all those years. He never came to get us," I winced.

Gene sighed, "Rhode died within the next year and, when Sora took over, he thought the human world was the safest place for you– away from the dangers still plaguing the Citadel. Your mother agreed and, presumably, never told you anything about your heritage."