prologue

The smooth chirps from a black smartphone on a bed stand were acting as an alarm. The peaceful melody laced the background of the chirps could brighten one’s morning, although some would gladly hit the snooze button since the melody could also act as a lullaby. However, it was a whole way round for Choi Siwon.

The smooth chirps were like a fire alarm, shrill and deafening. It hurt his eardrums, gave him the anxiety and prompted his heart to beat ever faster as if he was running a marathon. Choi Siwon woke up with a jolt and he grabbed the phone with all his strength—his fingers tried to dismiss the alarm by sliding the screen, shakily. After a few seconds, the room finally went graveyard silent-only his pants could be heard.

“Another mediocre day,” he said to himself, rubbing his face with exasperation and hesitation. He could see between his fingers, the beautiful silk of sunlight seeped through the grey blinds seven feet away from his bed. The beating of his heart started to slow down and there he heard a barely audible honk reaching to 20th stories apartment room he was in. That was it, his cue to the bathroom and prepare for the day.

Siwon did not bother showering even though he was home from a bar last night and a petite escort spilled a glass of wine on him, staining his best suits. He had only small shave to get rid of the itchy stubbles on his wide jaw, long teeth brushing session and proper face wash along with a rather tedious self-admiration in the mirror.

After pulling on a black shirt, a denim and hoodie, he headed to the exit only to see the small frame on the top of his kitchen’s counter. He stopped, contemplating whether he should reach to the frame and give it a small, longing kiss or should he never touch it again—like he always did,. Somehow, Siwon felt the need to kiss the absent face of his long-gone beloved darling. So, he kissed it with all his strength was focusing to not shed a single tear.

“Good morning, Sir,” he greeted the security guard, as he would every morning he show his face to the outside. He was never a fan of cooping himself up in a room but then, he had become a hater of the sunlight for not long ago. It reminded him of days he wanted to wipe of his memories.

God, if only he could turn back time.

“Let’s break up.”

Siwon raised one of his thick eyebrows, overheard a conversation on his way to the café not far from his apartment. He knew should not be nosy but it was his nature as a writer after all, finding strangers’ lines and conversation that could spark a whole other world in his head. He stopped at a brick wall beside him, pretending to listen to music while leaning against it.

“(Y/N)…”

Siwon put on his shade, so that the couple would not be creeped out by the fact he was staring attentively at them. Siwon was a bit surprised to see that the girl, who was standing in front of the man, was in fact young. The man was about the same age with Siwon while the girl was very young, a highschool senior at best.

“Why?” she asked, monotonously. It was as if she was not keen of the relationship and was waiting for the break up since long ago. The ‘why’ she asked probably was just a mask to hide the fact, so that she would not hurt the man.

“It’s not you, it’s me…” the man continued to explain the reason, although for Siwon—it was clear that it was all lies. Siwon was holding back his urge to scoff as the man continued to utter all the lies about how he loved her and how he wanted to give her everything. The relationship was probably established over profit cause.

But who knows, those were merely just speculations made by the writer’s mind of Siwon.

“Okay, give me back all the gifts I gave you then. Tomorrow’s evening.”