Diamonds and Darkness (Chapter Two)

Cora spent the night tossing and turning. Today was the Sorting Day the day that would decide her entire future.

The Sorting Day is the day where every young Thessionian between the ages of 17-20 competes in a series of challenges to see what career they will be assigned to. The top 50% get into the Prestige Program and become very successful. The bottom 50% usually work in sanitation, factories or fixing things. You may attempt to get into the Prestige Program as many times as you want.

No matter how hard she tried she couldn't sleep. If she was ever going to become a great warrior she would need to get into the Prestige Program and soon.

Her eyes drifted to the stolen sword lying on her desk.  Just looking at it made her feel uneasy. She couldn't shake the feeling she had made a mistake. Maybe I should put it back. She thought to herself. No, she couldn't, surely all of her competitors would have swords of their own.

She couldn't stop thinking about the boy. No matter how hard she tried she couldn't get his cold red eyes out of her mind. Who is he? Why is he here and not at the resting grounds? Does anyone else know he's here? Should I tell someone? These were all questions running through Cora's mind.

As the sun rose Cora quickly got dressed and then heard a knock on the door.

She quickly hid the sword under her bed. "Come in!"she yelled.

Her father entered the room with one hand behind his back followed by her grandmother. "Good morning, sunshine. How did you sleep?" Her grandmother asked.

"Like a baby," the blonde lied.

"We've got got a little something for your big day." Her father said removing his hand from behind his back to reveal he was holding a sword.

Her blue eyes lit up with excitement. As she closely examined the sword. It was a light silver color with turquoise jewels. It had a blue handle with the face of a lion at the end, her favorite animal.

She threw her arms around and hugged him tighter than she can recall ever hugging anyone, nearly forgetting about his injured back. She eventually let go and proceeded to hug her grandmother.

"I love it but, what will Mom say?" she questioned.

"I'll talk to her," the girl's father responded. "You just focus on doing your best."

"I will," But she couldn't focus. All she could do was think about the boy and the sword and the passage until she arrived at the building where The Sorting was going to take place.

The building was swarmed with people roughly her age. It was so loud she could barely hear herself think. It was so overwhelming, all she could do was stand with her mouth open, staring at all the commotion.

She overheard several conversations. "Did you hear about Prince Lyon?"... "Is it true he's really here? ... "I wonder what he's like in real life."

A tap on her shoulder brought her back to reality. She turned around to see a woman about half her height holding a clipboard.

"Name?" the woman asked tiredly.

"Coraline Bowman."

"What's your address?"

"127 Seaview street."