Broken Promises (Chapter Seven)

When Cora returned home she immediately went up to her room and so she could read the article over and over looking for anything that could point her in the right direction.

He clearly had bad blood with someone named Galen Rivero. The more Cora thought about it the that name sounded familiar.

He seemed to be interested in royal artifacts but, Thessonia has so many historic locations it would be nearly impossible to predict which one he'd go for next.

Cora laid face down on her pillow. How was she gonna find this guy.

Cora needed to take a break. She got up to make her bed which she hasn't done in several weeks.

As she moved the blankets she found a small piece of white fabric. Upon further inspection she realized it was a handkerchief. It most definitely was not her's. There was a name embroidered on the bottom corner. Raymundo Eduardo Esteban Ricardo Castillo V. That must be him.

Cora immediately entered the name into the search bar. The Blood King. There were several paintings of The Blood King. There was no doubt about it, It was him.

In the paintings you could see battlefields covered in dead bodies. Blood stained the snow red. Some of them were so gruesome they made her sick. And there he was at the center of it all. He seemed to be enjoying himself slaughtering all those people.
The young man in this picture seemed different from the one she had met, but what did she know.

The more she thought about it, the more it made sense. His long hair, his sword, it would explain why he was confused as to how Cora didn't recognize him.

How was he still alive. Wasn't he killed 2,000 years ago? Even if he somehow survived, how come he didn't age at all?

Cora read several articles about the Blood King.

Raymundo Eduardo Esteban Ricardo Castillo the fifth, more commonly known as the Blood King, was born in the year 12 A.D. He was the only heir to the throne. He was crowned king at age ten after his father died in battle and his mother died due to unknown circumstances. He took more lives than any other king in Thessonian history. He conquered several of the surrounding nations. He married duchess Lilliana Rowe but, their marriage was cut short because the Blood King was killed at age eighteen by Galen Rivero. Three years later Duchess Lilliana married Rivero. There is currently a Blood King exhibit at the Thessonian Museum of History which features the real blade used by the Blood King.

That must be where he's going.

Since Cora didn't own a car she had to walk to the museum. The warm summer breeze washed over her. She had no idea what she would say to him when she found him but, it was too late to go back now.

Cora arrived at the museum late into the night. It was closed. She would have to be creative. She scaled over the museum's front gates landing on her feet on the other side.

Cora walked to the front door and tugged the handle. It was locked.

Cora walked around the back of the museum looking for a way in, when she realized one of the windows had been shattered. Cora climbed through the broken window being careful not to cut herself.

It was so dark she could hardly see anything. She felt her way through the darkness nearly stumbling several times.

"Hey you!" She turned around to see a security guard running towards her. She'd been caught. Cora bolted down the hall as fast as she could and he followed after her.

"Come back here!" he yelled.

Cora ran into a room on the right and slammed the door behind her. She grabbed a chair and used it to barricade the door. She let out a sigh of relief as she sat down in the chair. That's when she saw a pair of red eyes staring at her from the darkest corner of the room.

"I told you not to follow me," he said, taking a step towards a glass case with a sword twice the size of the one from the passage. "You are a fool for coming here."

He smashed through the glass with his fist. Cora's throat went completely dry she couldn't make a sound. All she could do was stand in silence, completely frozen.

He grabbed the sword off the shelf and gripped it tightly in his hand.

"You look like you have something you want to say to me." He was now standing only a few inches away from her.

"You're the Blood King," she whispered, barely audible.

"I hate that name!" he yelled.

He tried to stab her in the abdomen but, out of pure instinct she pulled out her sword and blocked the incoming attack.

"I've met very few with reflexes as fast as yours," he said with a look of amusement in his eyes. He refused to yield he slashed her shoulder.

The pain caused her to flinch. She quickly dodged his next attack. Her sweatshirt was now soaked in blood. Cora tried to think of what she could say to calm his rage.

"Lily wouldn't have wanted you to do this."

He paused. For a brief moment there was a look of sorrow in his eyes. Then he snapped. "Lily was the one who  tried to kill me! She was the one who trapped me in those crystals for 2,000 years! Don't pretend like you know her!"

Cora threw a vase at him shattering it into a thousand pieces. He let out a wince in pain. Cora launched an attack aiming for his face. He grabbed her wrist and twisted it. The pain overwhelmed her and she was forced to drop her sword.

"Any last words?"