The Sorting Begins (chapter three)

Cora walked into the main hall where the competitors would be given the rules of the tournament. A different challenge was used every year to prevent cheating.

"How could I be so stupid?" she asked herself. "I just talked to the prince and I didn't even bow. Are you supposed to bow? I don't know." Her thoughts were interrupted by the sound of someone calling her name.

"Cora!" She turned around to see Dimitri walking towards her.

She ran towards her best friend meeting him halfway across the hall.  "It's so nice to see a familiar face," she said wearily.

"Is everything okay?" he asked.

"It's been a crazy day," she replied.

Coraline just noticed that Scarlet was standing behind him. Cora and Dimitri had been best friends forever but Cora and Scarlet never really hit it off. They used to play together when they were very young but they just always seemed to be in separate worlds.

Cora caught a glimpse of Scarlet staring at one of the other competitors. A boy with short, spiky, auburn hair wearing some sort of steampunk googles on the top of his head. His face was splattered with freckles and his smile was crooked but charming.

"Do you know him?" Cora asked Scarlet.

"No, he just asked me to make an alliance with him," she answered.

"What did you say?" Dimitri asked.

"No," she said with a look of disgust on her face. "He wouldn't stop talking about how great of a warrior our father is. He's just a factory worker trying to use my skills to get through."

Several people believed that non-Prestige people were untrustworthy but Cora had no reason to believe that he was using Scarlet.

"I'm sure he didn't mean it like that." Cora said.

Scarlet shook her head. "You are far too trusting Cora. Someone is going to take advantage of that."

Cora was unsure what to make out of that advice when a man holding a bunch of papers stepped up on the podium.

"May I have your attention please. The rules will only be explained once so I suggest you pay attention." He said with a scowl. "Since there are roughly 400 of you competing today this is how we've decided to sort you. As you can see you all have literal targets on your backs. To pass you must eliminate 3 other players. To eliminate another player you must hit there target 3 times. If your targets been hit 3 times you're out."

Then a loud voice came over the loudspeakers. "Thank you for your cooperation. May the Sorting begin."

The platform beneath their feet rose up carrying them up to an enormous arena.

Everyone's targets lit up and people immediately began to attack to try to take out each-others target.

Cora ran and hid behind a brick wall going over the rules in her head...you have to take out 3 opponents, you get 3 strikes you're out.

Cora heard incoherent muttering coming from around the corner saying something about the online order portal gun being a scam and he'd have to use something else to pass. Cora saw this as her chance to launch a sneak attack. She crept as quietly as she possibly could, but when she tried to attack, her opponent was already expecting her.

At first glance Cora released this was the same boy who tried to form an alliance with Scarlet. His eyes lit up with recognition. "Your father is Corin Bowman from the Ironheart guild, right? I'm a huge fan."

"Um, thanks," Cora replied, not letting her guard down.

"Please make an alliance with me?" he begged, making a face that resembled a sad puppy.

Cora thought back to what Scarlet said earlier. "You are far too trusting Cora, someone is gonna take advantage of that." Cora couldn't help but believe despite their flaws that everyone had some good inside of them and even though people make mistakes they still believe they're doing the right thing.

"I accept your request for an alliance." Maybe she was making a mistake but he could end up being good ally and if he decided to turn on her she could easily take him out.

"Wow, really?" He said rubbing a hand on his neck. "I wasn't expecting someone as important as you to actually want to team up with me."

Cora didn't really think she was any more important than anyone else.

"I'm Zyler Ellis," he said as he extended a hand.

"Cora Bowman," she replied giving his hand a firm shake.

Zyler looked down at his watch. "We have to go now!" He exclaimed.

All of a sudden several people ambushed them. The pair ran as fast as they could. One competitor grabbed the hood of Zyler's sweatshirt, holding him back as she hit the target once. She attempted to hit it a second time, but Cora sliced the girl's hand opened with her sword, forcing her to let go.

Cora pointed to a house on the right signaling for them to regroup inside.

Zyler nodded and threw a smoke bomb behind them, blinding their opponents. The two of them make it safely inside the house. Little did they know they were not alone.

"They've entered the building begin phase two."