Chapter 1

In nearly every direction, my eyes were blinded by red.

Roses?

I sat up abruptly from my splayed position, looking around frantically.

I was surprised to find that, as far out as I could see, I was surrounded by nothing but roses.

The dark red roses flooded the gorgeous landscape from every side. The more I stared into the distance, the more the roses seemed to blur and spin into what looked like rolling pools of blood.

I let a sigh of contentment escape before laying back into the patch.

Closing my eyes, I inhaled the deep, floral scent from the field.

Intoxicating...

Roses.

I laid like that for a while before a strong warm breeze grazed across my cheeks.

I calmly let my eyes flutter open, only to freeze when I was met by two yellow eyes boring into my own.

A menacing-looking wolf stood over my body, its hot, sickly sweet breath fanning my face.

My eyes wandered across the creature -- piercing eyes, frightening teeth, a silver snout raised domineeringly, and thick tufts of black fur adorning every inch of its massive frame.

It seemed to watch me curiously...or was it expectantly?

In a dream-like trance, my hand raise from the flower bed, fingers reaching warmly towards the beast of their own accord.

But before I could even attempt to react, the wild wolf lunged suddenly at me.

As its sharp fangs sank into my neck, a strangled scream struggled to escape my throat.

***

"Ava! Wake up, Birthday Bitch!"

As one of my roommate's pillows crashed painfully into the side of my head, I felt my entire body pushed from the delicious comfort of my bed.

"Ow!" I exclaimed as my ass hit the hard wood floor.

Staring up at the ceiling, I muttered loud enough for my two best friends to hear me.

"If this is what turning 24 feels like, then I'd rather go back to sleep..."

Reese and Fatima then infiltrated my vision, leering over me as the corners of their lips turned up in malicious smirks.

"Ava, quit acting like a sloth and go get dressed. We're going shopping!" Reese ordered.

At this, I suddenly turned my attention to my friends' attire.

Fatima's hombre box braids were pulled up into a neat bun and her lips painted a chocolate brown to compliment her dark skin.

Similarly, Reese's long, black hair was pulled up in a matching bun and her makeup identical albeit the slightly lighter shade to match her olive skin tone.

What truly bothered me, however, were the homemade t-shirts they wore with the words "Ava's Bridesmaids" written across the front in black print.

I groaned in realization, "We're going shopping while you both wear that? I don't want people to think I'm getting married! You know I like to flirt with the employees--"

Fatima broke out in a laugh while Reese continued to stare sternly at me.

"And what are we even going shopping for? I'm broke. I have rent and student loans to pay for. What will the government think-"

"Shhhhh!" Reese shoved a finger in my face to silence me as Fatima disappeared into my closet,

"Pretending you're getting married will get us free shit. But also this is manifestation because I'm tired of you insisting how single you are 24-7..."

Fatima returned quickly with a pair of black jeans and booties in her hand. As she approached, I watched her pull a white t-shirt from her bag and unravel it.

Across the front it read in thick letters,

'The future Mrs. Kaida Christopher James Jr.'

And I was sure my jaw had hit the floor as I stared at her in shock.

I felt Fatima pull my hair into a bun as Reese simultaneously rushed to pull the shirt over my shoulders.

"What the hell?!" I screamed after regaining composure.

"Why does the shirt have Kai's name on it?"

Even though I stared at them on the verge of a panic attack, Reese and Fatima watched me completely unfazed.

"Because, honey," Fatima drawled,

"This year for your birthday we're getting you what you want most. We're getting you Kai James. So you've got to look the part."

I rolled my eyes.

"I love y'all...but you two are psychotic!"

***

At the outlet mall, we roamed in and out of stores for hours before finally walking into a small, elegant boutique.

The dresses hanging off each rack were stunning, scintillating, and expensive-looking.

I pulled one dress from a hanger and held it to my chest in the mirror.

It was black and form fitting with cutouts on the sides and a dangerously deep V neck line. The fabric glittered with stunning patchwork and I blushed at its thigh high slits.

"That's the one. That's the one that will make Kai impregnate you tonight. Little Ava's not so little anymore!" Reese gushed.

I checked the price tag and almost vomited at the number.

"That's a lot of zeroes. For that price, it better come with heated underwear, unlimited booze, and a small buffet...

"It can't be that bad." Fatima laughed, snatching the dress from my hands and peering at the tag.

"Huh??!" She screeched immediately, recoiling as she threw the dress to the floor.

As Fatima attempted to stop hyperventilating, Reese suddenly appeared next to us with a store employee.

"Ladies, this is Cameron. He says he's willing to let the happy bride take the dress free of charge! Isn't that great, Ava?

My eyes bulged from their sockets as I registered the shopkeeper's sincere expression.

No way this actually worked...

I eyed the man once more with skepticism. He was a young handsome guy with bronzed skin and neat brown hair, probably only a little younger than us.

I glanced wearily at Reese one last time before succumbing to my luck and thanking him profusely.

If fake bridesmaids shirts truly hold this much power, we'll definitely have to try this again with the landlords...

Fatima and Reese quickly found dresses to check out before reassuring me as we left,

"When we see Kai at the club tonight, it's game over! There's no way he'll be able to resist you..."