Chapter Two

Chapter Two

As Damon held his best friend in his arms, he felt an ache in his heart at her pain. Then he had felt anger rising to the forefront as he thought about David Moore and what he did to Bailey. If she had walked in on him having sex, then she would remember every damn detail due to her amazing memory. Damon clenched his fists, his teeth grinding together as he looked at Bailey. She seemed almost defeated, and he didn't like it one bit. Her clothes were soaked, her long black hair half wet clinging to her cheeks, her bangs sticking to her forehead. Her beautiful grey eyes that were flecked with green had been blood shot when he first saw her, her nose red as sniffles sounded around him.
Damon looked at the engagement ring that she clutched in her left hand, her right hand holding his shirt in a death grip in her hands. He remembered the day she came to him, smiling so brightly, happily telling him every detail of how David had proposed, from the white roses, to the romantic candlelit dinner in the middle of the park he had rented out for the night. Damon had never liked him, one because he had first been Draco Corporations major competitor. Damon had no idea Bailey was dating him until she asked him to meet her 'love'. When they met at the diner Damon wanted to beat his chest, grab Bailey and get her the hell out of there, but knowing Bailey, that would definitely not have gone over well.
David had smirked at Damon when Bailey's back was turned, and Damon nearly broke his hand mid-handshake. Now as he had his arms wrapped around Bailey, her heart wrenching sobs shaking both her and him. He didn't care she was sopping wet, that his two-thousand-dollar suit was being ruined. He only cared about comforting Bailey.
"Shhh, honey, it's alright, it's all going to be alright." he whispered to her. He couldn't believe she had even asked if she could stay. Hell, he would sign the deed over to her if the circumstance arose. Bailey was his best friend, and he loved her as such. He would take care of her with his very essence. Closing his eyes, he kissed the top of her head and whispered, "Come on Bailey, come with me," she shook her head and he smiled softly.
"Am I going to have to carry you?" he asked. She nodded slowly.
"Will you? Like old times?" she whispered, and he chuckled. He remembered those times. In high school when he would search for her after football, wrestling, or soccer practice, and find her half asleep in the back of the public library, a quarter cup of coffee in front of her along with five or six other books. The bags under her eyes had always told him how many days she had stayed up, mostly due to fear of falling asleep in the foster homes she went to. Whenever he asked her to let him help her and stay at his house, she always denied him. Why, he didn't know. When he found her, she would lift her arms up and he'd carry her out to his car. Then he'd drive her home.
Smiling at the memory he stood and scooped her up into his arms.
"Yeah, just like old times Bailey." he said. He saw the smile that curved her full pink lips and a light yawn escaped her lips before she could stop it with her hand. She was always so lady like. As Damon walked out of his large office he started down the hallway to the staircase when Bailey's voice made him pause.
"Wait." he looked down at her, one hand curled into a fist resting on her chest the other hanging limply.
"Yeah?" he asked.
"Can we stop by the pond out back first?" she asked.
"Yes, let me just grab...this," he said reaching into the bucket next to the door that led to the backyard and grabbing and umbrella. He handed to her and she opened the door, then popped the umbrella up. It was easy for them to work together. Years of working together made it almost second nature for them. They stepped out into the pounding rain and Damon made quick work of the hundred-yard walk to the rather large pond that was surrounded by dense forest and flowers that Jerry had insisted on having planted around it. A small cobble stone bridge arched over the pond on one side as lily pads floated along the surface. The rain made constant circles in the water and Damon stopped at the top of the bridge.
"So what are we doing out here?" Damon had to speak louder over the constant pitter patter of the rain and the occasional thunder. Bailey looked down at her fisted hand and slowly opened it. The gold band of the diamond ring glinted in the little light the sky gave.
"I'll never make the same mistake again." she whispered, and he almost didn't hear her. Almost. Just as he realized what she was going to do, she threw the ring from her hand and he watched as it made a soft plunk sound and sank to the bottom of the pond. She stared after it for a few more seconds and then turned to look Damon in the eyes. She smiled broken heartedly and he was sure he felt it himself. She surprised him then, when she wrapped her arms around his neck, her head laying against his chest, making sure to keep the umbrella above them. Damon kissed her on the forehead before he turned and brought them back to the house.
When they got back inside, he kicked the door shut behind him and walked her up to the guestroom that was directly across the hall from his bedroom. He set her down on the bed and said, "I'll be right back, I'm going to grab an extra shirt for you so that Jerry can take care of your clothes over-night okay?" she nodded and crossed her ankles. Turning he jogged out of the room and into his own, quickly grabbing a random shirt of his, which turned out to be a pale blue T-shirt. He quickly brought it to Bailey, who was still sitting in the same position on the black comforter.
"Okay, here you go." he said handing it to her. She smiled then, but it didn't reach her eyes.
"I'm going to get set for the night as well. Get some sleep okay Bailey?" he said, and she nodded. He turned to leave but stopped when he felt the sleeve of his grey button up being grabbed. He turned back only to catch himself as Bailey threw herself at him. She wrapped her arms around his waist and said "Thank you Damon. I don't know what I'd do without you." it came out muffled due to the fact that her face was smothered in his chest. She felt his warmth radiating from his body, smelt his scent, a mixture of forest and a spicy cologne she couldn't pin point but instantly liked.
Damon felt warmth spread through his heart at her statement. Kissing the top of her head he said "There isn't anything I wouldn't do for you Little Lee," he said using the nickname he had given her in seventh grade, "Now get some sleep." he said before releasing her and leaving the room, shutting the door behind him. He had a few calls to make before he turned over for the night.

-----------

I don't know why I forgot about this book...I like it.

You guys?