Chapter Five

Chapter Five

Bailey found herself wrapped in a blanket on the soft leather couch in Damon's office a while later, groggy and eyes throbbing. She had cried herself to sleep again, hours after telling herself to be strong. She scoffed at herself. She was better than this. Beating herself up mentally, Bailey sat up, wiping the grime from her eyes she found Damon at his desk once more. However, he was way more disheveled than the last time she'd since him. When he was holding her in his lap while she cried. She felt a blush come to her cheeks as she remembered his soothing scent, a dark musk that she knew very well and that always put her at ease.

Looking at him now she found his suit jacket was off, his sleeves rolled up to reveal a sleeve on his left arm, black ink swirling elegantly to create images she couldn't see from the distance. His tie sat crooked on his neck and she smiled. He was never good with putting on a tie so she had learned in high school and made a habit of fixing it for him, so he wouldn't get in trouble with the teachers about 'dress code'.

She stood then walking up behind him though he didn't seem to notice. Reaching out she wrapped her arms around his neck, hugging him tightly.

"Thank you." She said.

"For what?" he asked innocently. That was her Damon, always unaware of how much he did for her.

"For being you." She said as she leaned over him undoing his tie and slipping it from the collar of his shirt. She stood up and folded it neatly, laying it on his desk. He was currently working on a large stack of papers that seemed to be making him extremely tired if the bags under his eyes were anything to go by. She reached over and grabbed some of the documents from the pile.

"Accounting reports for the rented industrial park in Chicago?" she asked, and he looked up, surprised.

"How did you know which one it was?" he asked and she pretended to be offended.

"Excuse me? All the times I've been here I haven't just been lollygagging, who do you think used to help your dad when you were in class?" his eyes widened.

"Wow, friends for over ten years, never knew you helped my dad out." He said as he leaned back and stretched, his shirt riding up to reveal the happy trail of hair that led below his trousers. Bailey averted her eyes quickly. Just because they were best friends didn't mean she was blind. She knew he was an extremely attractive man, had been infatuated with him for the first few years of their friendship, but she had seen the girls he dated, tall, tan and blond with large boobs who walked flawlessly in heels that she would break her neck in. She had learned quickly and painfully that she'd had no chance and so she'd given up before she got her heart broken, and it had worked...mostly.

Leaning over she grabbed a pen and half the pile of paperwork before heading back to the couch and laying down comfortably.

"You don't have to do that Lee." She smiled at his nickname for her before looking back up to him. With a bit of sadness, she couldn't keep from escaping she said, "I mean, if not this, what else am I going to do until I can find a job?" she asked.

"Find a job? You don't have to do that." He said, and she chuckled.

"I can't live with you forever D. You'll settle down with someone and imagine how she'd feel if another woman were to be living there with you two. Talk about awkward. Don't worry, I have a savings account, so I'll be able to move into a small apartment and keep saving until I can afford to reopen the shop somewhere else. Maybe a better location and get more customers!" she said excitedly. Where the shop was before wasn't the greatest area for people to know where she was, but since David allowed her to use the space for free it made it easier to accept the location. Now as she thought about she got more excited thinking of possible location in the city that could be popular but cost effective.

"You could do so much more with the brain that you have, why stay with the café?" he asked and she sent him a fake glare.

"You know all I've ever wanted was a reading café because-"

"Because the one we used to study at for years closed and you wanted to create a space that people could enjoy like we did." He finished for her and she smiled sending him a sly wink.

"See, you do get it." She said before focusing back at the reports and silence followed.

X

Damon was still baffled. She had been working with his dad for years and he'd had no idea. Now, as they made their way out of the office hours before he thought he'd originally be leaving, he understood why his dad was coming home at more reasonable hours during his college years. It wasn't even dark yet as they got into the elevator. He looked at her as she leaned on the wall across from him. Her dark locks were restricted in a braid, strands hanging lose after her nap on them. That's when he got an idea.

"What if...you worked here for a bit?" he asked and her head shot up, eyes wide.

"What? But I mean, my only experience is the café and the bit I did with your dad. I'm sure there are plenty more people more experienced than me." She said quickly, her nervousness showing as she tucked a stray hair behind her ear.

"Maybe, but I trust you more than anyone else, and you can be my personal assistant, it would make my life easier, just like today. And what do you mean not qualified? You were valedictorian in high school and on the Dean's list all throughout college." He said simply, leaving no room for her to argue.

"A-are you sure you want me?" she asked and he shook his head at her poor wording. She had no idea just how sure he was about wanting her, but he couldn't just simply say that now could he? Instead he simply nodded.

"Most definitely." He responded, and she smiled brightly.

"Then, why not?" she said as the elevator opened and they entered the underground parking garage. He walked with her until they reached the gold bike, he knew she loved and had purchased solely for her. Lifting her leg in a smooth motion she straddled the bike and he bit his tongue to control himself. She was the sexiest woman he'd ever seen on a motorcycle and it made it nearly impossible not to want her straddling him instead of the machine beneath her. She grinned at him.

"I'll see you at the house, got to grab a couple of things from the mall if I'm going to be working at the Draco Empire." She said as she turned over the engine and took off leaving him behind, hard and wanting.

________________

Alright guys! Another chapter down. What do you think?

Tell me tell me tell me

J. Vas