Chapter 23

"Mitsui! Calm your nerves!" I yell at our starting pitcher.

Ahhh, this is annoying.

And what's with that annoying sound?! Making my head hurts...

It's the bottom of 2nd inning, our defense. But the game is unfavorable to us.

Top of the first inning, failed sacrifice bunt... Failed steal attempt and another failed sacrifice bunt in the top of the 2nd inning.

And because of that, the morale of the team that Toua tried to raise last night, declines.

"It's a hit! This is going far...! HOMERUN! That'll be 5 runs for Blue Mars!" The score as of now is 5-0.

"Manager." Toua speak up.

"Huh?" The moping fat lips look at him.

"Let me play-"

"No. I'll play now." I cut him off. He look down at me.

"Come on, cut me some slacks."

"..."

"I won't use any signals, if that's what you're thinking."

At the end, it's me who played.

"Signs?" Ideguchi questioned.

"Yeah, we're not going to use any signs so try to adjust."

"Why?"

"Our signs are being stolen."

"Ehh?!" He and I covered our mouth with the glove.

"The signs from the dugout, signs between the battery, everything... is being stolen."

"Seriously?"

"Yeah, there's no mistaking it. For one thing, they stopped our sacrifice bunts and base stealing. Not only did they complete difficult play 3 times, but each time, the infielders wasted no movement. It's unnatural... Too unnatural if you asked me.

"That's not all. Remember yesterday's game where Williams was called to relieve a tied game?"

"Huh..."

"Isn't it strange? Relief pitchers don't take the plate when it's tied since it raises the chances of prolonging the game... That would weaken their focus. So why do it? It's because their team knew that they were going to win."

"!!"

"At that time, our pitcher was Hasegawa, who only uses fastballs and curveballs. Indeed an easy target for them. With that, what do you think will happen if the batter knew what type of ball they will be pitched next?"

"...Even an idiot can hit it." He replied.

"Exactly."

"Huh? Huh?! So that means..."

"Your signs were leaked to the batters. In fact, the two batters in the 9th inning, they both hit fastballs. What more... Sawamura who was walked let the two pitch pass by even though it's almost in the strike zone. Clearly, he knew what the next pitch will be."

"Damn! What's up with this guys- wait... then...that means, even Rodrigo, who overcomes his weakness and started racking homeruns is...!"

"Yeah, he didn't learn how to overcome his weakness. He just knew what pitch is next and ignore the breaking balls which he can't hit."

"Then what should we do Miyazono-chan?"

"Toua and I already talked about it, and we plan to first learn how the signs are being stolen. But something's bothering me."