Chapter 2

Deca Market, Gazda.

Erydia.

Her mother was slowly dying.

Recently, it felt as if every clock in Erydia was ticking just for Viera. They slowed and sped, taking away her life and urging her towards a fate she didn't want—a fate she wished to turn from. Nine other girls were in the same position, all of them harboring marks and goddess-given abilities. She did not let herself think of them or the things they would do to her to get to the crown.

They would not get the chance.

***

Four more days passed in relative silence. Leighton did not ask for her father's blessing again, but he still came to the shop in the afternoons and walked her home. This was how things had been for almost three years.

He arrived each day, dressed in his guard's uniform, and flushed from the jog across the city. Sometimes he'd bring her flowers, but more often than not, he'd arrive with a treat for them to share on the walk across town—a small bag of candied walnuts, chocolate covered raisins, butter taffy, an iced sweet roll or a tin of ripe blueberries.

Leighton knew, perhaps better than anyone else, that the way to Viera's heart was through her stomach.

Even though she adored seeing him, she always made a point of saying, "I can walk home by myself. You don't have to rush."

Because she could. And because his post wasn't near Deca market and walking her home often required him to rush his final tasks in order to arrive when she'd finished her own. She worried he'd get himself in trouble with his superiors if he was always sneaking away early. He'd worked too hard for her to ruin things. Even if he wanted to—planned to.

Occasionally Viera would slip away from the shop and surprise him, arriving at the edge of the government district just as the guard change was happening. She enjoyed watching him, seeing the way he interacted with the other men. They would pat him on the back and tousle his hair. They all joked together. These men were the closest thing Leighton had to brothers.

The work of guarding Gazda's was not easy. Often times, the law went against compassion and didn't allow for starving families or desperation. Leighton was forced to make decisions that haunted him. He had bad days—days when he had to do things that went against his personal beliefs. So, it was nice, to surprise him whenever she could.

So, on the fifth day, she did just that.

Viera closed the shop early, pocketed two fresh cinnamon muffins, and headed towards Leighton's guard posting. She had timed it just right and the patrol was just changing when she arrived. She hung back, just waiting and watching.

He was talking to his commanding officer when he saw her standing at the entrance to the government district, waiting for him. His eyes lit up and he had to work to hide his smile as he finished saying his goodbyes and hurried down the wooden steps of the watchtower. She waved to him as he reached the bottom landing and took off through the small crowd towards her.

She lifted the paper-wrapped treat so he could see it and called, "Excuse me, officer. Can you help me? I seemed to have lost my heart—"

He didn't let her finish speaking, didn't so much as say a word. He just wrapped his arms around her waist and kissed her until she was breathless, until the world was spinning.

She laughed and slipped from his grip. Leighton snatched for the pastry in her hand but she danced away, keeping him from knowing exactly what it was. She could almost see the weight of the day melting away as his mouth pulled up into a pleased smile.