Chapter 6

Imellia Station, Gazda.

Viera stayed on the main platform of the station while Leighton went to secure the tickets. He had already purchased them; he only had to have them checked and confirmed—then they could begin boarding the train. Up ahead, a few yards down the tracks from where she stood, guards paced. The station was quiet. The only sounds the echoing footsteps of other passengers and the hurried exchanges between the guards and travelers.

She watched the way the guards examined each passenger's identification cards—there was a line forming, as the guards examined the printed details for signs of forgery or sly imitation. Viera clutched her own card. It bore her picture, but the name printed there was not her own.

Leighton had asked her what she wanted her name changed to. These aliases would see them through their trip to Vayelle, as well as all initial interactions. It was safer, to go by fake names—since everyone in Erydia would soon know exactly who the tenth, and missing, goddess-touched girl was.

Her given name would be broadcasted all over the country, perhaps all over the world. She ran her thumb across the name printed there in crisp clean letters: Britta Clarisse Schuler.

Leighton had smiled when she'd told him the name.

They'd only talked about children once. Leighton liked to dream and he had big dreams for the two of them. They had agreed on the name "Britta" for a girl, but had argued about what to name a boy. She like the idea of naming their first son after him, but he didn't want that. He was already named after his own father and wasn't particularly keen on adding a third Leighton Andreas Seidel to the ranks.

Viera didn't know how long they would use the pseudonyms, but she didn't mind being Britta for a while. She especially liked how it sounded when Leighton said it. He always grinned at the name—as if it alone were some grand secret. In a way, it was.

It gave her hope. In Vayelle, they would be able to turn their dream into a reality. They would buy a little house on the coast, right by the sea. As far from Erydia as they could get. He would find work as a guard and she would bake. After a few years, they could try for a family. She wanted two children, a boy and girl. He wanted a house full.

Seeing the way Leighton smiled when they talked about it, she figured having a home brimming with children who smiled the way he did might not be a terrible thing.

***

His identification card was just like her's—a photo from straight on and false information—hair and eye color, height, birthday, blood type, home city, job description, and permission stamps for the different city borders they would have to crossing. For now, Leighton was Jonathan Blake Schuler. Her husband in name only—although she'd tried to talk him into actually having the ceremony.

He wanted to wait and do it in Vayelle, where their lives together would start.

Their fake story was simple: Jonathan and Britta Schuler had only been married for two weeks and were going to the Varos so Britta might aid her ailing great aunt. Their cards only allowed them to stay for three weeks, after that time had passed, they would either have to submit paperwork for a prolonged pass or they would return back to Gazda.

It shouldn't be difficult to get out of the capital city, not when getting a pass to leave Gazda was considerably easier than getting a pass to leave Varos. As citizens born in the capital, they had certain rights and privileges that other Erydians did not.

Trouble would only come if the guards delayed them or asked too many questions—which would only happen if they were already on the lookout for goddess-touched girls on the run. Which was certainly possible. It wasn't uncommon for girls with weaker gifts or weaker stomachs to try to run from the Culling. The competition was an archaic tradition, born of blind trust and ignorance.

She didn't understand why the prince couldn't just find himself a bride, or why the Synod couldn't simply vote for which goddess-touched girl they wished to rule next. Id given the choice; she would gladly give up her place in the running. But Viera knew better than to wish for things like that.

Without the Culling, without the goddess, Erydians had no way to explain the marks or the gifts. Without the destiny that was forced on her, a marked girl would become nothing more than a monster. At least this way, she supposed she had a reason to be one.

Leighton touched her shoulder and she jumped slightly at the sudden contact. His brow furrowed slightly, but he forced a smile. "You ready?"

She nodded and handed him his identification card. He examined it for a second, then glanced over at hers, still clutched in a white-knuckled grip. Viera told herself to relax, everything would be fine. The guards wouldn't detain them unless she gave them a reason to.

His fingers intertwined with her own, a steadying force that she clung to. He pulled her closed to him, until they were standing boot to boot. Viera had to tilt her head up to see his face, but she didn't mind it.

He kissed her forehead; let his lips linger against her rain damp skin. "We will be fine. You and I. Won't we?"

She nodded and moved back a step, edging towards the train and the awaiting guards. "We should get going."

Leighton frowned and drew her back to him by the hand, stepping to meet her halfway. He caught her mouth with his before she could object and she melted into it, the way she always did. She couldn't help it.

That kiss was deep and afraid—it was the sort of kiss you gave someone when you thought it might be the last.

She had to focus to keep the poison from touching him. Mentally, she placed a barrier between her power and Leighton, shielding him from the darkness that threatened to sweep in. It was a skill she'd perfected long ago—but now seemed like a monumental task.

He pulled away just enough to press his forehead to hers. "Tell me you want this. Tell me you want to be mine."

Her breath was hitched as she whispered, "I want this. I want you. Always."

He nodded and stepped back. "We should go. I'd hate for us to miss our train, Mrs. Schuler."

She swallowed hard. Nodding as she tried to vocalize what her heart was singing. "I love you. I love you more than anything else in the world."

"That sounds like a farewell." His voice was soft as he said, "Don't you dare say goodbye to me."

A smile played at Viera's lips. "Oh, I could never."

***

Thank you for reading this far. Don't forget to comment, like, and share. For more information on The Culled Crown series and other projects, follow me on Instagram (@briannajoyc) or check out my website (www.briannajoycrump.com).