1.3

note: the reason for the cliffhanger follows here on this chapter in Andrew's POV. So the story will go like that, one chapter in Andrew's POV and the next in London's; alternating POVs. 

This is a pretty short chapter so another update will be coming your way sometime this weekend. Double update weekend whoooo! Don't forget to comment and vote if you enjoyed the chapter <3

   ══ ● ══    

Andrew Cai had no intention of asking out the first woman he saw after leaving his mother in the middle of an argument he was certain, if he stayed back, would only make matters worse. But there he was, sitting by one of the tables nearest to the door so that London would spot him easily once she entered the cafe. 

The events of the morning played every so often throughout the day and while he had matters with his wife to sort out he simply couldn't get London out of his head. She was loud, not exactly friendly at first but she seemed like a good person. And truthfully, the only reason he asked her for coffee was because he felt terrible for ruining her flowers that were expensive and for her mother. His own mother was infuriating but he honestly couldn't imagine her dead.

His head lifted from his phone just as the door tinkled and his eyes met that of London's. Smiling, he pocketed his phone and waved her over. She smiled once she saw him and made her way over to the table. He'd asked her out for coffee because he felt bad for ruining her flowers but that wasn't only it. He didn't want to have to go back to his parents house and find himself face to face with his ever-fuming mother. His plans to take them out to dinner were obviously cancelled and he'd rather be in the company of this stranger than in the company of his parents.

"Hey," she greeted, settling into the chair opposite his. "Sorry I'm late. You know traffic." She chuckled and he laughed in agreement.

"I'll go get the coffee. Do you want anything specific?"

"Actually, yes," she said and then sheepishly she added, "I don't drink much coffee. I usually have to douse it with sugar because it's just too bitter for me—"

"What? You're kidding," Andrew exclaimed, raising his eyebrows. "Coffee beats tea any day. Who doesn't like coffee?"

"Me," she answered, clearly amused by his reaction. The idea of someone disliking coffee was mildly horrific.

"I take my coffee black and with barely any sugar in it," he said.

"Yikes, that's got to serve a wake-up call."

"The point of coffee's existence."

This managed to make her laugh and though he hated to be comparing it to Talia's, it sounded nothing alike. Talia's was soft and gentle, a sweet laugh that made you want to keep talking whatever rubbish was coming out of your mouth just to hear that laugh again. London's laugh was loud but showed genuine amusement, something Andrew could never tell at first about Talia's laugh.

"I'll go order. You want...?"

"Tea," she replied, laughing at his quick memory loss.

He rolled his eyes, that smile still nesting on his lips. "I know that but do you have any specifics?"

"Black tea will do, thank you," she replied, beaming up at him and he nodded, still smiling as he made his way from the chair to the counter where the barista stood behind.

His routine was broken. His wife was leaving him, he had divorce papers to sign, the possibility that he'd lose his daughter terrified him and yet his smile did not vanish as he placed his order and waited for the beverages.

Perhaps it was because he had broken routine. Perhaps it was good to get a new outlook on life, to do something that made him happy and however small having coffee with a stranger was, it oddly made him feel much lighter, not bearing any responsibility because he was not cheating, not like Talia had.

Their marriage had been falling apart a few years after Aurora was born and Andrew had tried his best to resurrect that part of their marriage that had died but he had failed miserably. He still loved Talia but it was a love that no longer ignited sparks. It was a love that brought comfort, that allowed his old routine to retain its shape. It was a love that showed he cared for Talia's health and her wellbeing, but it was a love that was no longer nurtured by a romantically beating heart.

He had refused to talk to his wife about their problems and both of them continued to live within the bubble, ignoring whatever came their way. He had fancied other women before but he'd quickly chastised himself because he was married and committed, never mind that his marriage was falling at the seams.

Of course, this didn't stop Talia from pursuing her desires.

Aurora deserved a wholesome family and this was not the kind of family he wished to give his daughter. His routine and Aurora was the main reason he stayed in that marriage but Talia had officially waved the white flag and there was nothing he could do but raise his as well.

He just had to sign the papers.

But what would happen to Aurora?

He had time to read the papers at work during his break hours and even during work hours. Joint custody didn't sound terrible. It was what he wanted but Talia would have physical custody of their daughter and while it was something that he could definitely work around, he knew his wife — his ex-wife-to-be  — and Talia would find some way to alienate him from Aurora's life. He didn't want that. For his own sanity, he could not afford that. 

Sitting back down at the table, placing the cups of coffee and tea down, Andrew pushed his all-consuming thoughts away as hard as he could, bringing his focus back to London.

When his eyes met the familiar angry and disappointed expression on London's face, the same expression she gave him when they first met this morning at the cemetery, his own smile fell. He tried to figure out what he'd done wrong but it didn't take him long to know what he did, or more specifically what he wore, that made her upset.

Andrew followed her eyes and his own landed upon his hand, the one holding the coffee cup up to take a sip. His heart dropped when he spotted what caught her eyes and it made him, and undoubtedly her, feel like they were both involved in something scandalous and immoral.

There, sitting heavily on his finger, was a gold wedding band ring.