5.1

note: has it really been 2 months since I've updated this story? I can't believe I've abandoned this story for that long but rest assured, I am back to writing! Sort of. I'm hoping to get back into it fully when my summer break rolls around. My finals have been pushed back to June so I had some time on my hands to write and I missed writing this story so here I am with an update! I'll be updating the next chapter soon too, I'm almost done with it ;)

I'd also like to give a special thanks to those who nominated this book for the Fiction Awards! It means so much to me. Thank you for the nominations and if you haven't nominated and would like to, nominations are open till June 3rd. If you haven't nominated your favourite authors and books, go nominate them on thefictionawards! Every bit of support to writers and their books matter so go support your faves! 

With that being said, I hope you enjoy this chapter. Tune in tomorrow for more ❤ 

  ══ ● ══ 

London Liang was not always this impatient.

Today was an exception. Today was either going to be the best day of her life or possibly the worst. Today would be the turning point. Her life could improve any second now, or she could be just as she's been all these months. Nothing was certain and the wait — although not very long and quite a considerate amount of time, bearing in mind that they had heaps of other applicants — was surely going to kill her.

Chris had informed her that he'd call her on Saturday to give her the good news. He'd tasted her dish that day that she cooked for him, his sister who worked in the food industry and his husband who was the person opening the place. Chris loved the dish. It was evident in his satisfied look. His sister and his husband on the other hand — she couldn't quite tell. They had complimented her cooking skills but something was amiss. Their voice didn't peak with excitement, at least not as Chris' had, which led her to think that Chris' behaviour may have been out of pity. Was she that bad? Was she not as good as she thought she was? Or was she just overthinking it all?

Her pace quickened as she made her way up and down her flat, from the kitchen to the living room and then back again.

Then the phone rang.

She jumped, rushing towards it in an instant. She fumbled with the phone before she slid right on the touchscreen and answered the call eagerly, not bothering to check the caller ID.

"Tell me the good news," came an excited voice.

London immediately groaned and cut the call.

Her phone rang again and yet again her heart leapt.

Answering, she said, breathing nervously, "Hello?"

"Bitch, why did you hang up?"

"Gwen," London groaned. "I'm waiting for a call—"

"Oh, you didn't get it yet. I thought you would have heard by now," her sister said, feeling the need to cut in. She really was not helping London's nerves at all.

"I'm waiting for a call so—"

"Call me the instant you get it, okay?" Gwen said and though London could spot the eagerness in her voice, her annoyance only grew. She was nervous, her emotions creating a riot in her stomach, and Gwen being on the phone now — Chris could call any minute! — was not helping to settle any of her frantic nerves. "I'm not in Porte Orlands today because Inesh and I are away for a weekend getaway. You know, before his parents come and all hell breaks loose. We'll meet up as soon as I get back. But make sure to call me!"