8.3

London expected Andrew to call but not so damn early on a Sunday morning. She groaned, rolling onto her side and picking up the phone, peeking through half-lidded eyes at his name flashing across her screen.

Still on her side, she put the phone to her ear after picking it up and groggily said, "It's too early, Andrew."

"I missed you too," came his teasing joyous voice.

She smiled. "What time are you coming back? I could make us something to eat. I've been wanting to try out something new and you could be my test subject."

What she said was true but she was only suggesting it in the first place because she knew he'd be sad once he got home and food always seemed to cheer him up, especially hers, and she'd do almost anything to make him feel better.

"That's actually why I called," he started and by the edge in his tone, she knew bad news — or not entirely good news — was coming her way. "I'm not coming home today."

She took a second to process his words. "Not today?" she questioned, finally sitting up in bed. The duvet slipped off and the cold instantly embraced her. Hugging the covers back around her, she asked, "What time will you come home then? Tomorrow is Monday. You do have work."

"I was thinking of calling in two of my vacation days," he started. "I want more time with Aurora and I want to work out things with Talia. Hopefully, my persistence does something and I crack through her," he said, a rustle in the background. "Sleeping on the couch is horrible. My neck is killing me."

London tried to fake a laugh but his words made dread fill her. She was being silly and overthinking things, she knew that, but she couldn't help it sometimes. Now was one of the times she wished she could control her emotions.

"She's not going to move back from Ipswich, Andrew. Do you really think she'll come back to Porte Orlands? Moving is not a decision you make so lightly, unless you're rich or have no attachments but Talia—"

"Where is this coming from?" he cut her off and by the tone of his voice she thought he felt betrayed though, of course, she didn't actually know if he was betrayed because she couldn't see his face, his facial expressions and general aura. She didn't want to be the one to get ahead of themselves and jump to conclusions.

"What do you mean?"

"You're the one who pushed me to come to Ipswich," he pointed out like that was all the explanation she needed.

"Yes, to spend time with Aurora, not to sort out your differences with Talia. You're the only one trying with that relationship and Talia doesn't seem to give a fuck about it," London tried to reason. His persistence was starting to get on her nerves. She loved that he was fighting for his daughter but he was losing this war. She thought he should try for sole custody and she'd once told him that over dinner but he told her that he wanted Talia in the picture, with joint custody, because she was much a part of Aurora's life as he was. They never talked about it again.

"I know she cares—"

"She doesn't, Andrew," London exasperated. "She doesn't care about you or your relationship with Aurora. She refuses to admit it because she knows it would make her a horrible person but she doesn't care. When will you accept that? Can't you see that you've been trying so hard all this time and she's still the same?"

There was a beat of silence as she held her breath. Starting her Sunday morning with an argument with her boyfriend over the phone was not how she predicted her day to start out.

"I didn't know that you knew my ex-wife so well." There was bitterness in his voice that couldn't be mistaken for anything but.

"Come back to reality, baby," she pleaded.

"My daughter is my reality."

It was her turn to be silent. How does one reply to that?

"London?"

"Yeah," she sighed into the phone, complete resignation in her voice. "I know."

Another beat of silence. For once, neither of them knew what to say to the other. When the silence continued and became unbearable, she spoke her mind, voicing concerns that troubled her and made her look selfish but were still valid.

"What about me?" she asked, her voice tentative. They could talk about everything and anything but this — this was a conversation she feared venturing into because she loved him. She loved him and there was no way that she could afford to lose him now.

"What are you talking about?"

"Where do I fit in this reality?"

"London," he groaned. "Let's not have this conversation now. Arguing with Talia gives me a headache and I don't want to argue with you. Let's just stop."

Let's just stop? How could he say that so casually, so easily? London hated arguments, as any sane person would. Their first fight was when he thought she was siding with Talia, on Friday when London was encouraging him to go to Ipswich but that technically was not even a fight. This she considered a fight.

"Let's just stop?" she echoed unbelievingly. "Stop what? You willing put yourself into arguments with Talia but you can't get through one fight with me? At least I'm understanding whereas Talia, your ex on the other hand, lacks the bones of empathy. Aren't we supposed to talk things out like we always do?"

"London, look, I'll have to deal with Talia at breakfast for the next two days. That's more arguments that I can handle. Let's please not get into this now," he pleaded not realising that he was saying all the wrong words, that his words were only fueling her anger.

"Not get into this? All I asked was where I fit in this world of yours. Do I even fit in it?" There was nothing she could do to mask the hurt from her voice nor the anger.

She heard another sigh through the phone. Was he tired of her already? Apparently, arguments with Talia were worth it but not with London. "You do fit in it obviously. Come on, London, don't ask stupid questions."

"I'm not stupid," she fired back.

"I didn't say you were. I would never say that. You're just saying unreasonable things now—"

"And you didn't deny it so what's your point, Andy?" she bit out heatedly.

He scoffed. Only Talia ever called him Andy, a nickname that sounded like a downright insult from London's mouth. She knew it, which was why in the heated moment she spat it out.

"You were the one who told me to come to Ipswich, that I needed to figure out how to handle seeing my daughter with life. I'm trying to do that! You told me to come to Ipswich but now you have a problem with me staying two more days," he said, disbelief in his voice. 

London laughed even though her eyes prickled with tears. "That's not what I have a problem with. I just don't see why you're trying to work things out with Talia. Clearly, the woman doesn't see sense."

"London, I'm doing this for Aurora's sake. Talia is — oh." He cut off from the conversation, muffled voices in the background. London, almost livid with her anger and hurt, contemplated hanging up on him but ended up staying on the line until he returned.

"I'm so sorry. I have to go. I promise we'll talk about this when I come back," he said in a rush.

"If you come back home, you mean," she corrected him, her voice salty.

"London."

This time she hung up.