Chapter 2: Cold, Cold Night

Kitty, Dracy, Siberian and Rufus all lay against the schoolhouse's roof, something they always do after eating dinner. There are no stars in the sky that night for them to gaze at, just clouds, clouds and more clouds. The harsh wind blowing from the east gives them chills like they're in Antarctica but it doesn't faze them.

Dracy is already dead, she can't feel a thing like the cold or numbness. Unless its fire. She'll try to avoid fire as much as possible. Like what her uncle's friend would always say, "Fire bad."

The others on the roof are warm blooded creatures that can unsurprisingly or surprisingly control their body temperature.

The wind picks up speed and Rufus excuses himself. He jumps up from his laying position and crawls on all four down at the side of the roof.

"Where are you going?" Siberian asks.

"Down there of course. Where else dude? Up?" Rufus sarcastically replies. This isn't an uncommon thing he does. Anytime, anywhere, whoever he's talking to, Rufus is and will always be sarcastic. Once he becomes serious, everyone around him should be shocked because its not a good sign. Its either he's sick or he's dying.

"No," Siberian replies. "I just thought you missed your father the devil and you're paying him another visit again."

Rufus narrows his eyes at Siberian's remark as he slides himself down the gutter and into his room. He and Siberian share a single room but there is a boundary where each of them shouldn't cross. Ever.

Siberian rolls his eyes and waves the ladies goodbye and pounces off to the nearest branch of the oak tree and down on the ground. He yelped as he bumped against Rachel as he runs in the schoolhouse.

Meanwhile, the remaining two on the roof decided to stay there for a few more hours, updating each other with each other's lives. Dracy talked about how she found a squirrel in the garden and decided to keep it instead of eat it while Kitty told Dracy about the dandelion fields a few of Claire's jumps away from where they are.

"Can you take me there?" Dracy asks.

Kitty falls quiet for a while before clicking her tongue and saying a simple answer.

"Sure. I'll take you there now if you want."

Those words made the vampire smile revealing her elongated canine fangs as she did so. Kitty showed off her fang-y grin as well. Kitty is probably the only one in the schoolhouse who came from two different species of creatures: a tiger and a stallion. She would often joke about it saying that her mother was a tiger and her father was a brave stallion. It may sound impossible but in the schoolhouse, there's no such thing as impossible.

"Now? Really. Are you sure?" Dracy asks excitedly. Her eyes growing bigger and her screlas gaining more color. Kitty smiles and stands, extending her left hand as she did so. Dracy takes it at once and pulls herself up.

"Come," Kitty offers and as soon as Dracy gained her balance floating, she jumped off the roof and down to the ground, Dracy hot on her heels as a purple smoke. As soon as they got past the broken wooden fence of the schoolhouse yard, Kitty dropped on all fours and picked up speed.

The dandelion fields are swaying with dandelion flowers with the help of the wind as it blows from the north this time. Dracy's joy as she sees the white and yellow flowers. Several dandelion seeds escapes from their flower captives and flew around the field. Some landed on the two ladies's clothes, hair and noses.

"You spent the whole afternoon here? With Claire?" Dracy asks as they sat on the flowers. Dracy in her bat form.

"Yeah. This is where we always go. Remember?" Kitty replies. She blows on the dandelion flowers she picked from the field earlier.

"Oh yeah. Can we come here every night? I mean you're not nocturnal like me but you sure does sleep later than the average stallion."

"Yeah but did you know that a cat is nocturnal?"

"What does that have to do with you?"

"I'm half stallion-half tiger. A tiger is a cat. A cat is nocturnal. So that meant that I'm half nocturnal."

Dracy switches to her vampire form in the blink of an eye, her jaw hanging wide and her cape that has a brain of its own detaches.

"What?" She asks, confused.

"Nothing," Kitty replies with a slight roll of her eyes. Suddenly her tail unsuspectingly swished sidewards, catching Dracy's still detached cape under the spike at the end of her shaven tail causing the other lady to yelp as she felt the tear on her cape. The cape quickly attaches to Dracy and heals.

"Why'd your tail do that? It has a mind of its own right? Why'd it do that?" Dracy angrily asks as she fixes her gray and black cape that healed at once.

Kitty holds up her hand shushing Dracy. She abruptly stood, tail still swishing and ears twitching. The pupils of her eyes darts from left to right. She crouches and walks forward before dropping on all fours, teeth baring and growling at the same time.

"Kitty what is it?" Dracy asks and turns to a bat again. She silently follows Kitty as she quietly crawls to some place she keeps on sniffing. "Wait! Kitty stop!" Dracy whisper-yells when she used her enhanced vision skill. Kitty stops and sniffs the air, she growls and screeches.

"You're right. We should get out of here," Kitty says and turns back to where they came from, Dracy raced with her in the form of a bat then a vampire before turning to the purple smoke.

In the schoolhouse in their rooms, the two ladies passed notes to each other asking if they smelled, heard or saw it too. Both of them had the same answer: "yes."

Meanwhile, a little further down the dandelion fields and past a mile of trees, there lay a national hi-way where two pairs of hitchhikers stood at the side of the road flagging down passing cars. After an hour of dismayal the four hitchhikers finally gave up and because of the suggestion of one of them, they decided its a good idea to take a walk down to the forest behind them in hopes of finding a house where they can stay for the night.