Chapter 9: Fields Of Fire

Several blue and white cars blaring like its the end of the world surrounded the students. Men in dark blue clothing with their guns out and aimed at them were standing beside their vehicles.

"Hands up where I can see them!" One of the cops said through a speaker.

Raye raised his arms like lightning while Mark raised his as slow as a snail. Seeing their actions, the students followed. The cops advanced closer slowly, making sure none of them move when suddenly Fred's tongue shoots out and grips on a policeman's gun, he wraps it around the barrel and pulls, causing the policeman to lose his grip on the gun. Fred aimed it at the policeman but before he can do anything, the other cops aimed their guns at him and pulled the trigger.

High pitched ringing reverberated around the dandelion fields. Nobody moved. Nobody breathed. Not even the whistling of the wind was heard. Fred was down on the flowers, red splattered all around and pooled around him. Several empty bullets lie next to him.

"Anyone else!" A policeman with a bushy mustache taunted. When silence became the answer of the frightened students, he chuckled to himself. "We are only looking for four missing boys. They had been missing for over a week. I see only two were here. And some, I don't know what you others are. Monsters perhaps."

"We are not monsters," Dracy snaps, she emphasizes every word hard. "You killed my friend. Now you're aiming your guns at the others. I won't let you take another life." With that she turns to a thousand bats and lunges at the cops who screamed and ran every each way for their lives. Some aimed and fired but with every bat that falls, two emerges from it.

All of a sudden the bats stopped flying and hovered midair. They all seemed to be focused on something. It was Laurie screaming as he ran and held a makeshift spear in the other hand.

"Chidori!" He screamed when he was close to one of the policemen. He lunged at a policeman but he pinned the spear near the cop's head. "This is why we ran away."

The bats went back to action again. Purple smoke coming from them and Dracy emerged from the tornado of bats, purple smoke oozing from every part of her body. She has her arms straightened out by her sides and her eyes were glowing a light magenta colour. The whole eyeballs were glowing and smoke seemed to be coming out from them. She floated a few feet off the ground and the mixture of bats and smoke whirled around her threateningly. A loud swooshing and gushing sound can be heard from the flutter of the bats's wings and the never ending smoke that came out from Dracy. She pulled back one hand and attempted to push it out forward forcibly but she didn't manage to do it fast.

A flamethrower went off from behind her, burning the fields and the whirlwind created by Dracy. She fell to the ground as soon as the fire came in contact with her skin. The fire from the flamethrower might have burned her to death if Raye hadn't gotten in the way. The flamer abruptly turned off the flamethrower to prevent it from reaching Raye and stared at him through his mask.

"Raye!" He yelled and ripped off his mask, revealing a familiar face to Raye. "Don't do this. Don't make me do this. Get out of the way."

"No!" Raye yelled back. He stood his ground. "I won't do that to my friends, Alby. I'm not like you. You abandoned Jay and Laurie when they needed you. You're not a real friend. You left Mark for dead when he was shot! What kind of a person would do that to someone they call a friend?"

Alby scowled and aimed the flamethrower at Raye who bravely stood firm. "Raye," Dracy coughed from behind him. "Its okay. Just leave me be."

"No! I won't leave. I will never leave a friend anymore! Not again!" Raye snapped.

Alby let out an inhuman laugh and placed his finger on the trigger.

The same time he pulled it, Jay jumped over Raye, pushing him the other way and landing on his little friend.

The fire incinerated the part where Dracy and Raye once were. Raye screamed Dracy's name when he saw her being pulled away by a masked man who came with a truck full of his companions. FBI and SWAT men handcuffed the students and put a bullet on headmistress Leonora's head when she resisted the men. They loaded the students on a truck and drove away.

Raye and Jay were pulled up from their laying position by two men and hauled them to their feet. The men cuffed them and forced them to get in a SWAT car. Laurie and Mark were there too. The car drove away, following the truck where the students were and the rest followed.

Alby and three more masked men holding flamethrowers stood at the edge of the dandelion fields. The students and the four hitchhikers can only watch as Alby and his companions set the fields on fire. They can only cry on their seats and whimper to themselves as a helicopter hovered over where the schoolhouse stood and fired a missile at it, making it explode.

Jay and Laurie hoped that Neil, Foxie, Siberian, Rufus, Kitty, Coyote and a tied up Lizzie got away faster than they estimated. They warned them to go the other way. To run and never look back. They hoped their plan worked.

The trucks drove across the fields and cut through a grove of trees before emerging on the main road, leaving the burning fields of fire.

They drove until the outlines of the city came into view and the sounds of traffic and city noise increased. They didn't stop until they reached the parking spaces of the government facilities.