XI 1/2

Dear Karla,

This isn't how I planned to tell you this, but then again, I didn't anticipate I'd find you in prison, either. After I discovered the news of your arrest while I was trying to find you, I grew angry and decided you didn't deserve a proper meeting for this reveal. So, I wrote this letter as an alternative.

I spent many days after finding your birth certificate daydreaming about the life you must have. I pictured you married with a child of your own, with a successful career and friends you might introduce me to. I pictured both of us growing close and sharing stories about the lives we lived while we were apart. What I didn't picture, was learning you'd gotten thrown into prison for robbery.

I almost didn't even write this letter. I didn't want to meet you or learn anything about you. But then I realized it would be presumptuous of me to assume that just because you're in prison, you're automatically a bad person and had chosen to stay on a dark path. I also realized that you didn't have the privilege of knowing where you came from, as I did. And I completely understand if you're a little angry at me for what I'm about to tell you. Though your anger would be misplaced because I had no control over it either, I would still understand.

Now, since I'm assuming that the behavior you displayed that led up to your current position stems from not knowing where you came from, allow me to shed some light on the subject. Your father's name is Alejandro Cabello. He, alongside your mother, Sinuhe Cabello, came over to America from Cuba not too long before your birth. I'm sure you have a range of questions about who they are, why they gave you up, etc... The latter is still a mystery to me, but I promise I've been looking into it due to them passing recently. That's why I found your birth certificate, actually. I had to go through all the paperwork in their office, and I found it buried somewhere. Which brings me to the real reason I'm sending this.

I'm your sister, Sofia Cabello. I just turned 21 this past month (mom and dad had me a few years after you). If you care to know more about me, I would be happy to share later on.

Anyway, after following your story in the news, I had some serious doubts about coming to see you. But I know you'll have questions, and I'm not so cold-hearted that I won't at least make one visit. However, you're going to have to wait until I'm ready. In the meantime, I hope you're taking care of yourself in there. See you soon, sis.

Your sister,
Sofi

-

Camila was pissed that the prison had kept the letter from her, but she wasn't exactly surprised. It's prison.

The letter she's stolen from her file never left Camila's pocket after she'd read it, but there was a new picture that had made it onto Camila's previously empty walls. Attached to the letter was a photo of a young girl with a button nose standing in front of who must be her parents, smiling widely for the camera. She looks like she could be a way younger version of Camila, though only Camila would know it wasn't truly her.

For, Camila doesn't have a family. And from what she read in that letter, it doesn't seem like this sudden revelation will bring forth any happy reunions.