XXII

"Ms. Hernandez."

Ally looks up, meeting the eyes of the warden.

"You need to answer the questions the doctor asks you. Otherwise I will be forced to put you back into solitary confinement until further notice," He says, though there's a hint of boredom in his tone, "Do you understand?"

Ally nods and turns her head towards the doctor, sitting just beside the warden. He sits up a little higher, adjusting his clipboard in his lap. In front of him on the table sits Ally's file, probably significantly thicker than anybody else's file in this entire facility. It's open, though on what Ally isn't sure.

The doctor clears his throat, "Uh, Ms. Hernandez. As you're aware, when an inmate has an episode they send us down to do an evaluation. I'll just be asking you a few questions."

Ally almost laughs at the word episode. She is far too familiar with these sessions. She's never had the same doctor twice, until now. She remembers him from awhile back, after she had a meltdown and attacked a guard. He's still just as nervous and sweaty as she remembers.

"Are you currently taking any medication?"

"No."

"Do you have any doubts about your safety here in Litchfield?"

"No." A lie.

"Have you had any thoughts of suicide in the past few months?"

"No."

He takes a moment to write a few things down. Ally stares at his pen as he does so.

"Okay... Have you had any thoughts of or made any attempts at harming anyone at all, including yourself?"

"Didn't they include that on the form when I got thrown in?" Ally raises a brow.

"Yes. But I want to hear it from you, Ms. Hernandez."

"Fine. I pulled out my own hair and scratched up one of the guards, but other than that, no."

"Okay..." He writes a few more things down. Slowly, he reaches up and pushes his glasses up on his nose. He glances at her over his writing, but then quickly looks away when he sees the cold, dead look in her eyes, "Um, lastly, I want to talk about what triggered the episode."

Ally shifts uncomfortably.

"It says here that while being dragged away, you kept shouting the word 'bang.' There are similar things written on the report about your arrest. Can you tell me what happened that—"

"It was nothing. Just a nightmare," Ally says quickly. Another lie.

The man writes a few final things down, then turns to the warden. He whispers low enough to him that Ally can't hear, then rises and makes his way towards the door. The warden follows him, and the two make an exchange before the doctor shakes his hand and leaves. He comes back around the table and sits down, "You're free to return to your block, Ms. Hernandez."

Ally stands and leaves the office, making her way back to her cell block.

-

Lauren is alone in their block when Ally returns. She sits up almost immediately, looking relieved. Ally goes and lays down on her bed without a word.

"Ally?" Lauren says after a moment. Ally turns her head to look at her, "What happened?"

Ally just turns her head back, keeping her gaze on the ceiling. Lauren stays quiet for another minute before she pushes again. Ally rolls onto her side to face the wall.