XXIII

No, no... no... ah, there.

Camila spots Villette, the next book on the list that Lauren had given her to check out. She pulls it off the shelf, noting the dust on the spine. It makes her sad that all of these women are very limited in what they can do, and yet nobody bothers to read. It's one of the only ways Camila feels a semblance of freedom in here. That, and being with Lauren.

She takes the book over to one of the tables, admiring the cover as she does so. She can already feel why Lauren would recommend this book to her. This also happens to be the second Brontë book she's recommended, and from what Camila can tell, their taste runs dark. She doesn't mind, though. Lauren has shown her how to appreciate the darkness.

She likes to imagine Lauren reading the book. She tries to put herself in Lauren's shoes, tries to imagine what Lauren was feeling, or thinking. Simply looking over the same words Lauren has read before makes her feel closer to her.

Only a few other women linger about, and the only sounds Camila can even hear is the ventilation, her own breathing, and her fingers on the pages as she turns to the next. She likes the peacefulness of this space.

When the door opens, Camila looks up. She curses herself for jinxing her quiet book time when she sees Kordei standing there, eyes scanning the room. They settle on Camila, and Camila has to remind herself that she doesn't need to be afraid. She doesn't need to be afraid...

She approaches Camila's table, pulling out the chair directly across from Camila and taking a seat. Camila marks her page with her bookmark—a little note from Lauren that she had folded up and been using to mark all of her books.

"Cabello," Kordei greets with a curt nod.

Camila narrows her eyes, "Hamilton."

Kordei narrows her eyes as well. Nobody had called her by her true last name, despite it having been revealed. They had stuck with using her middle name. Camila hopes that Kordei understands the implications associated with her using her proper name.

"Jauregui thought it would be cute to threaten me, but I'm not scared of her," Camila can tell by the way she glances at the guard that that might not be entirely true. And the fact that she waited for an opportunity to get Camila alone didn't help her case, either.

"Your point?" Camila doesn't bother mentioning that she sees right through Kordei's facade.

"I know it was you that took that file," Kordei lowers her voice significantly. Camila tries her best to conceal her surprise. If Lauren knew anything about this, she hadn't told her.

She suddenly feels defensive, "And where did you get that information?"

"Doesn't matter. All that does matter is that I know. So I'm here to talk to you, woman to woman," Kordei leans forward, clasping her hands on the table in front of them. Camila stays quiet, waiting for Kordei to continue, "I need you to talk to Dinah for me."

Camila almost laughs, "And why would I do that?"

"Because. Those files didn't tell the whole story. I'm sure if I looked at your file, there would be something in there that you would argue was untrue or unclear. I never got the opportunity to explain," Kordei says, her tone cold and hard.

"You don't deserve an opportunity like that," Camila hisses, "You lost Dinah on your own by lying to and abusing her. Her psyche can't handle someone like you. You just want control over her. You don't love her."

"You don't know anything about how I feel!" Kordei replies quickly, her breath sharp and quick. Camila is frightened by the intense look in her eyes. Kordei lowers her voice when she notices the guard turn his attention over to them, trying her best to lean back and appear more relaxed, "I lost Dinah because of you. I blame you."