➥pt. 2

Brandy and Hyde returned with the stolen dvd and Eric's gift, a new bedside radio as Hyde explained that Eric's alarm clock didn't work anymore. It wasn't anything extraordinary but she hoped he would appreciate it. She went upstairs to wrap it, and was just finishing up when a knock sounded on her door.

"Come in." She said, putting the last piece of tape on it.
"Hey, the gang and I are all hanging downstairs. If you wanna join." Eric said, peeking his head in. "What's uh- what's that for?" He smiled slyly.

Brandy just shook her head, as if the 'Happy Birthday' written all over the wrapping paper wasn't a sure tell sign. "It's nothing special so don't get your hopes up." She dismissed. Eric walked fully into the room with his hands stuffed into his pockets.
"You know, you still have to meet Laurie and Jackie. Last night you were unpacking and this morning you disappeared."

"Job hunting. Probably gonna work at Small Fry's Diner."
Eric nodded, "Speaking of unpacking. H-how are you settling in?"

There's a question. Selfishly, Brandy didn't allow herself to think about her mother all too often. She knew that if she did, she wouldn't leave her room. She also knew that this ache in her heart and pounding in the back of her head would only grow bigger until she exploded and allowed herself to properly mourn. Everything happened so fast, Brandy didn't know how to mourn her late mother. Or even if she deserved the attention.

"You guys are a great distraction if I'm being honest." She smiled. "I think I'm doing okay."

Eric eyed her for a moment. He was usually good at reading people (if it wasn't Donna), and Brandy truly frustrated him. She was so complicated to understand, and she hadn't told them much about herself. Brandy hid her emotions so much better than anyone of his friends, so Eric hardly knew where to begin.

"That's good. So are you coming?" He asked. Brandy nodded, picking up the wrapped gift and following him out he door. Eric turned suddenly. "Y-you can talk to me if you want. We are family after all."

Like Brandy had good experience in that department.

"If it's alright with you, I think it will be a while until that point."
"I get it, I just want you to know that I'm here."

Going downstairs, Brandy was met with the gang plus a new face, who she assumed was Michael's girlfriend. As she was perched happily on his lap. The girl, upon seeing Brandy got up immediately with a smile that masked the judgements she automatically thought.

"I'm Jackie Burkhart, Michael's girlfriend."

Brandy found it amusing, she could read right through Jackie. Brandy could tell that Jackie was intimidated by her, and she could tell by the way she eyed her up and down, she was judgmental.

"And I am Brandy Mills, Eric's cousin." Brandy shook Jackie's hand.

"Oh my gosh!" The brunette gasped, her hand ripping from Brandy's in surprise. "The Mills family in West Allis?"
"Yes?"
"My daddy just threw yours in jail for dealing!"

"Jackie!" Donna hissed, swatting her in the arm.
"Get your man hands away from me!"

"Donna it's fine, it's not like he'll be there for long." Brandy shrugged. "I give it a month."
"But it was a 5 year sentence." Jackie replied.
"Yeah and his one for stabbing was 15, he escaped within a year."

"Woah, your dad stabbed someone?" Fez asked with wide eyes. "That is badass."
"Yeah, the last lawyer who put him there."

Brandy made up that story but it was worth it to see Jackie's fearful eyes before she sat back down, remaining quiet. An awkward silence remained and the group of nicely dressed teens remained still. That is until Brandy was aware of a sniffing sound above her. Looking up, she saw Fez leaning down with his eyes closed.