Three Hours Until Christmas

"H-how could you-" the princess snaps her magical fingers once again, fading everything out into an oblivion.

"I think you forget, Regina, I know you better than anyone. You may have once been the Evil Queen, but I knew you long before dark magic consumed you. I knew the real you, the good you. The young woman who was kind, gentle and once saved my life," Snow's ghost sincerely claims as she waves her hand in front of them for the second time, her fingers wiggling with excitement.

Thick white snowflakes rain down from the inky sky, painting the scene for their next visit in its awake. The extravagant carriage waits patiently in front of the castle, where King Leopold says goodbye to his precious ten year old princess. Regina is lingering awkwardly behind, still unsure where her place is in this tight knit family. She attempts to stand regally, posture straight, hands resting calmly in front of her lower abdomen, but her fingers are fiddling nervously.

The King and young Regina were just wed and he's already leaving her alone with the brat who had her Daniel killed. The hatred that fills her blood and the revenge that consumes her mind is far too much to ignore and the last thing she wishes for in this callous world is to spend Christmas with Snow White alone.

The spirit and the mayor watch as the King offers Regina a small smile and climbs into his carriage, waving goodbye to his daughter one last time.

"He didn't even hug you goodbye? You were his Queen. I-I never noticed-"

"Of course, you didn't, you were ten and your father was your hero. You would never acknowledge his blatant disrespect and neglect toward me, even if everyone around in your presence told you," she states with conviction, watching as the spirit snaps her fingers again, transporting them inside with the younger versions of themselves.

Regina remembers walking back into the castle and leaving Snow to do as she pleased, locking herself in her room to avoid another disappointing Christmas. After an hour had passed one of their servants came to her, explaining that they couldn't calm young Snow down and she had been crying since her father's departure.

So, much to her dismay, she stomped through the castle toward the princess's room ready to scold her for crying just like her mother had always done to her. The only problem was, once she saw her red, blotchy, face soaked in tears, she was smacked upside the head with reality. Too many haunting memories of her mother's firm hand came rushing back to her, along with the vow she made to herself; once she was out of her mother's castle and had children of her own, she would celebrate this holiday to its fullest potential.

"Why did daddy have to leave today? Doesn't he love me enough?" Snow cries, thick tears soaking her puffy, elegant dress.

"Of course he does, sometimes there's just somethings that need to be addressed right away," she vaguely responds while sitting down beside the princess on the four post bed.

"But it's Christmas," the little girl sobs even harder and all she sees is herself in Snow and how many countless times she was let down by the silly holiday.

"How about we spend the rest of the evening celebrating?" Regina suggests hoping to put an end to all those annoying tears.

A faint smile crosses Regina's lips as she watches the interaction play out before her. Despite her younger version's broken heart and boiling anger deep within, she still appears genuinely excited about her proposal. Regina glances to her right and notices how Snow's spirit is elated, just beaming like this is her most favorite memory.

"We could stay in your room and have the servants fill this bed with scrumptious treats."

Snow sniffles dramatically, her tears slowly dissipating as the seconds tick by. "And you'll stay?" She suspiciously inquires with those big doe eyes glistening in tears.