Chapter Three

Brisktail snapped out of his daze and followed Keeneye. A red glow flickered at the end of the tunnel, disrupted by Keeneye's form. Brisktail stumbled into the light to a terrifying scene.

     Part of the cliff had collapsed. His spell had only fixed the cracks around his home and part of what had already crumbled lay in the same way it fell. The tunnel had collapsed and the air was stale - if they couldn't get out soon, they would suffocate.

     The feather curtains and the storm door were on fire. The wooden door had fallen and was actually blocking the way outside so that if a SwiftScale tried to fly away they would have to risk being burned only to find that rocks were behind the door.

     Dragons screamed from inside their homes. As Brisktail stood in the hallway several residents escaped from further in the tunnels. Some SwiftScales seemed to be trapped in their apartments. Black smoke curled in the air and Brisktail's eyes and nose watered.

     Keeneye sunk his talons into one of the six curtains that were on fire. He grunted in pain and tore the feathers away, revealing two shaking dragonets inside.

     Brisktail shook his head as if to toss away his fear and rushed to his father's aid. Together, they pulled the remaining curtains down and freed any dragons inside. One by one, the dragons emerged and they all crowded around the only available exit.

     Brisktail examined to the storm door with stinging eyes. It had fallen closed and rocks wedged it in place. Since a cool draft was coming from outside, the fire would be able to keep burning as long as it had a fuel source.

     A SwiftScale tried to squeeze past the door in desperation but he fell back with a shriek of pain. Brisktail stumbled forward. Smoke filled his lungs and he couldn't breathe, and his talons felt as if they had been skinned of their scales.

     Father was snapping commands to the dragons, wheezing as the smoke stole his breath. Brisktail had to do something otherwise they would all die.

     "Try the gears!" someone rasped and Keeneye reached for the lever. As he pulled it, the wood broke with a snap.

     "We're all going to die!" Someone screamed. The rest of the SwiftScales panicked.

     Brisktail coughed and crawled under the smoke to the door. He ignored a slice of pain as a cut on his tail and arm reopened. The heat from the flames lapped at his face and he could barely breathe in its presence.

     Brisktail pressed his talon to the wood, screaming in pain as the fire licked hungrily at his scales. "BURN FASTER!" he yelled.

     His talons tingled and the door let out a keening groan. The flames erupted with a roar of noise and devoured the wood, and Brisktail hastily pulled his talon away to keep it from being destroyed.

     Soon there was nothing left of the storm door. The remaining wood collapsed, scorched to the bone and fresh embers flew outward. The ashes swirled in the tossed air and Brisktail coughed as some touched his eyes.

     "Look! There's a hole!" A dragonet cried.

     Brisktail squinted and through the blackness and fire and he could make out a tiny glimmer of starlight beyond the boulders.

     Keeneye roared and dashed forward. He slammed his talons onto the rock above the hole and pushed with all his might. Other SwiftScales joined Keeneye, and Brisktail watched as they pushed the boulders away.

     Brisktail was a crumpled heap on the floor, and dragonets trampled him as they escaped. He was fine with that. Better their life than his. A flash of blue claws seemed to belong to Seaspray and however annoying she was Brisktail was glad she was safe.