Chapter Five

Brisktail squinted. Twenty red dragons (well, not all of them were red. Some were more orange, others were faded and slightly pinkish, and some were both red and orange) were winging across the sky at speed that could beat a SwiftScale in horizontal flight. The thunder approached Ventus fast, and it wasn't long before Brisktail could pick up details.

     Long, spiralling horns. Enormous wings like that of his tribe. Smoldering nostrils and finless tails. The rudder-wings that were a key feature of a SwiftScale were missing at the base of these dragon's tails. No doubt, these were SkyWings like those Brisktail had seen in the Summer Palace.

     Swansong and Rapidwings moved to the front of the group before the SkyWings landed. Lightningtail and Thunderclap pressed together and Quickclaws exchanged a nervous glance with Rainwind.

     Rainwind shrugged and mouthed to Brisktail, "What in the name of mackerel is happening?"

     Brisktail waved his talons in exasperation. "How do you expect me to know?" he mimed.

     The largest SkyWing, a reddish-pink male with dark red undertones stepped forward. "I am General Cinnabar of the SkyWings, and I request an immediate audience with your Queen."

     Swansong raised her snout regally. "I am the Queen. What is your business here at Ventus?"

     Several of the SkyWing's nostrils leaked columns of smoke and a few snarled angrily. Cinnabar silenced them with a wing and lashed his tail. The way his tail flicked reminded Brisktail of two rival leopards squaring off.

     "Don't give us that attitude! You know what you did!" roared a SkyWing dragoness. She rushed Swansong but another SkyWing held her back. Behind Brisktail, the fleet of soldiers Swansong had summoned for arrived. When they saw the foreigners, they made for the quarrelling groups.

     Swansong took measured steps backwards. "What do you mean?"

     Cinnabar glared at his soldier before continuing, "A few suns ago a gray dragon, clearly, a SwiftScale was spotted egg-snatching from our hatchery. He took off and successfully stole an egg. We have come to take it back."

     Brisktail blinked in confusion. He was a part of the army, and since Keeneye was a part of the Council he would know if anything like this was ordered. Heck, Lightningtail and Thunderclap would be looking guilty! Whoever stole the missing egg... he could have only done it on Swansong's behalf.

     "That doesn't make any sense. What would we want with a SkyWing egg?" Brisktail asked to no dragon in particular. The SwiftScales, particularly Swansong and Rapidwings, nodded their heads in agreement.

     Cinnabar shook his head. "I know what I saw – I was on duty that night – and I saw one of you lying worms make away with the egg. Several dragonflame cactuses have been missing from some merchants as well, and we suspect it may have something to do with your wandering SwiftScale friend."

     Swansong shook her head again, saying vehemently: "I can assure you, I did not order any stealing as of late. And certainly not of an innocent dragonet!" Brisktail turned her words over in her head. Nothing about the possibility of her ordering this kind of kidnapping added up, so he concluded she wasn't behind it.

     Brisktail's attention was switched to Lightningtail as she padded to her mother and tapped her tail. Swansong turned around and Lightningtail pointed to her pouch. Swansong moved her attention to her daughter as she opened her pouch. Brisktail watched as the spiky plant and assorted red scales fell out again.

     "That's a dragonflame cactus!" shouted a SkyWing, pointing at the quilled plant. "What are you doing with that?"

     Lightningtail held up the cactus ball. "Do these explode by any chance?" Cinnabar nodded, reaching for it but Lightningtail held it back.