04

MARCH 28 1987, Aberdeen, WA

THE next morning Danny had picked Emma up from Krist and Shellis to take her back home.

On the drive Emma kept thinking about breakfast that day.

She walked out of the kitchen rubbing her eyes and heard Chad, Shelli and Krist loudly gasp as she entered the kitchen entry way.

"Oh my god." Shelli yelled. They had all dropped their forks and all while freaking out about something Emma couldn't understand.

"Where's Kurt?" Emma asked. She yawned grabbing the cup of coffee from the counter. Her head pounded as she had frequent headaches like so.

"He's probably still asleep. That kid never wakes up before 9." Shelli said as she flipped pancakes.

"Hey Emma, I like your shirt where'd you get it?" Chad joked.

"Haha very funny Chad." Emma Joked.

Just then kurt walked down with blue monkey slippers on. "Good morning civilized people" He said smiling. "Oh and Chad"

"You're lucky I don't beat your ass at this very moment string bean." Chad joked doing a karate pose.

"Not in my kitchen this early boys." Shelli said.

"Technically it Krist' kitchen you just live here." Chad said opening his big mouth.

"Krist baby." Shelli said taking a seat in his lap. "Who's cooks?"

"That would be you babe." He said proudly.

"And Kurt who feeds all the little monsters that continuously walk into this house from the street?" She asked.

"That would also be you mother Shelli." Kurt said just as proud as krist.

"So I believe that this is technically my kitchen dingus." She said flicking Chad on he head.

"Don't disagree with her EVER." Kurt whispered to the brunette girl who giggled slightly.

The doorbell had rung. "I'll get it." Emma said.

"Sister Emma and friends!"  Her brother said smiling. "Ready to hop." He asked.

"Yep."

"BYE EMMA!" Everyone yelled as she waved.

•••

"So if I heard you right you went to Kurt Cobain, asked for a shirt and he just throws you one with his favorite band on it?" Danny questioned.

"Thats what I just said Daniel. It's not really an uncommon thing." Emma said. "And he likes the a few bands more than or equally to the pixies." She said.

"Great and my sister knows more about my best friend than me." Danny mumbled. Was he more upset she was getting close to Kurt or Jealous?

Dan had gone on the entire car ride talking about how fishy her and Kurt's one day "relationship" was. They barely knew anything about each other.

"We were just talking yesterday asshole." She mumbled.

"Emma language!" Danny said pretending to be flabbergasted. Emma was used to this as they were very silly with each other.

"Why did you not come home?" Danny asked. Now Emma was getting upset. And she tries with all her might to stay quiet and positive.

"Why would you leave me at a bar at twelve o'clock? Past curfew? To meet up with whoever?" Emma protested.

Danny grew silent. He hated being wrong. And with Emma he had just been wrong.

"You know. I'm allowed to ask questions, last time I checked I was 20 and you were 17." He said pulling up to their home driveway.

Before Emma could follow up Danny had hopped out the car and Emma decided to as well.

The pair slowly and quietly walked into their house. Their mother being blackout drunk didn't hear anything. Well that's until Emma made a mistake she couldn't makeup for.

"Quiet Emma." Danny said before accidentally dropping a bag on her foot.

"OW SH-" Emma yelled before dropping her bag and holding her foot. She immediately covered her mouth. Great going now I'm dead. Emma told herself.

"Emma is that you?" Her mother said. Her mother was surrounded by empty vodka bottles and had ruined lines of white powder on her table.

Emma breathes in. "Yeah mom..." she said her voice shaking as it let words out.

"Where were you last night. You didn't clean the house." Her mother slurred. Most likely from a hangover.

"She was with me and my friends." Danny cut in.

"Oh those junkies." Their drunken mother Emma let out a laugh. "What's so funny." Their mom said standing now directly in front of Emma.

"Nothing, it's just you call them junkies yet you have been doing coke for a while now huh?" Emma said gathering her courage.

Everyone stood still. You could hear a pen a mile away drop at how quite they were.

Her mother stood still for a moment. Taking in that. Her little girl isn't so scared anymore.

"I'm not a junkie!" Her mother said running her hand across Emma's face.

After realizing what she had done, Emma's mother apologized. Of course Emma didn't want to hear it so she ran upstairs.

Emma's eyes grew teary. It wasn't the first time her mother had done such thing but Emma wanted it to be the last.

What do I do? Emma asked herself. She could deal with it head on or leave. But where?

"Emma can I come in?" Danny said from behind he door. She opened it as he stepped into her room.

"I fucking hate that lady." Emma yelled.

"She's you're mother and to get through Psychological study's for college you are going to need to stay here." He said.

Emma's expression changed completely from upset to more confused. "Daniel why would I leave." She said stepping closer to her.

"I have something to tell you." Danny said. He huffed. "I'm moving." He said. Emma clenched her fist. "I'll still be in Washington but I'll be down in Olympia." He said.

"And you're leaving me with her?" She yelled. "This Lunatic!"

"Here me out Emma." Danny said trying to remain calm. "It's only temporary a month at most." He said. "You always get so emotional about all this."

"Well - excuse me." Emma moved pass her brother and went to his room and locked the door.

Phone.phone.phone. She told herself as she looked for his phone. When she found it she dialed the number she knew would pick up . Krist and Shellis home phone

"Danny what do you want I already told you I'm not-"

"Kurt?" Emma whispered. She had fully expected for krist or Shelli to answer.

"What?" He said.

"No, kurt it's me." Emma said through the phone.

"Oh it's you." Kurt said sounding bored.

Emma being upset spoke fast as thats how she reacted to any form instead of self pity.

"I'm sorry. What wrong?" He said sounding actually concerned.

"I'm- I need help."