09

MAY 4 1987, Aberdeeen WA

TODAY Emma was back at her moms house. She walked in expecting a ton of empty bottles of alcohol, and lost likely a new drug that her mother decided to take up. Yet, when she walked into the house, it was the cleanest she'd seen it in a long time. Emma had thought she had stepped into her memories because it made her insides flutter like a zoo of butterflies in a cage.

Her mother came out of the kitchen in one of her blue dresses and cardigans. Emma knew her mother had stuffed all of her clothing from when her dad was alive.

"What's going on mom." She said. She hadn't moved away from the doorframe as she was so shocked by everything that had just happened in the few minutes she was home.

Emma's mother dragged her to the couch. Which didn't have anything rolled up underneath the cushions as usual.

"I went to the doctor and well my doctor was Charlie." Her mother said with a slight smile. Charlie used to date Karen until about two years ago. They would probably be married by now if he hadn't had broken things off. He said it would be better for the kids if she had time to work on herself.

"He's actually a doctor at Virginia Mason." She said.

"And is he coming back?" Emma said finally moving away from the door. She was eager to see the only person left he was a father figure to her.

"Well- that's not the point... the point is he was the doctor and he's going to help me get back on track." Her mom said.

Emma was totally confused as to how her personality had changed tremendously since she had last seen her. Emma couldn't let this sudden change give her any hope though. Her mother had tried before and had failed.

"Hey smile Emiliea. I mean it." Her mother said softly. Emma gave her a smile as she believed her for once. "He's coming over a 7 tonight so make sure you and you're brother dress up a bit okay?" Karen said. Emma shook her head.

Emma didn't need to give up all hope though. I mean after all this small period of grace was more improvement than she had seen in three years.

•••

Emma had worn a wine red turtleneck, and a black skirt to the event. She didn't want to look like she was trying to hard or not enough.

"This is do stupid." Danny said rolling his eyes. Emma laughed. He was in a button down shirt and dress pants. Very different from his flannel and ripped jeans combo.

"Mom said I had to look presentable." Danny mumbled.

"You look like you're going to bible study!" Emma laughed now fallen back on the bed from India his appearance hilarious.

"Whatever I'm going to go out for a smoke before the fright fest starts." The dirty blonde boy said before leaving his sisters room.

Emma sat looking at the ceiling at the sticker glow stars she had stuck up there since she was 6. She used to count them to fall asleep as she remembered. A sudden knock on her window alerted her from her daydreaming.

Emma grabbed the bat she had under her bed from softball in seventh grade. For all I know some sicko knocked on my window. Emma thought.

She moved the curtain to see a blonde headed boy sitting on her roof. Not just any blonde headed boy. But her blonde headed best friend.

"You scared the shit out of me you bozo!" Emma yelled dropping her bat.

Kurt rolled his eyes "Can you let me in?" He said. Hesitant Emma opened the window and let him in.

"What do you want Blondie." She said as he flopped down on her bed.

"Oh hey Kurt what a pleasure. It's not like you did anything special like rented over the edge to watch with none other than me!" Kurt said faking enthusiasm as he felt severely unappreciated.

"As wonderful as that might be I'm actually quite busy with dinner." She said softly. She did feel bad as she had shunned him kind of and he came for her.

"I like your room." He said looking at her band posters and maroon colored walls. "If all goes to hell just come on up and we can watch a movie or whatever." He said eating out of the bowl of pretzels Emma had on her nightstand.

•••

She just nodded and walked downstairs. He stopped halfway through the stairs as she saw one of he last people in her youth who'd cared for her. Charlie Willow.

He noticed her presence too and looked up at her. Since he had last saw her her hair was shorter and she was too. "Emiliea?" He asked standing still.

Emma, at a lost for words shook her head up and down violently. "It's nice to see you kid." He gave her a slight smile. He was the closest thing she could remember to be a father. He took care of her. Played games with her. Made sure she was always happy.

Emma eho had stayed quiet mumbled a few words. "Is it—is- is it okay— is it okay if I hug you?"

He now for a lost of words shook his head violently. Emma ran up and gave him a tight hug. Her eyes grew teary as nostalgia hit her like a pick up truck. "Hey Emiliea, it's okay." Charlie said stroking her long hair. "I'm going to make sure that we fix things around here." He kissed the top of her head.

"Besides, I'm not sure if you're too old or cool now. But I'd still love to play barbies with you. But only if I can be Stacy." He said. She laughed. He felt if he had already Succeeded seen her smile. And for once, dear Emiliea knew everything would be all right.

A:N: I'm so happy when I can make Em happy. Buttttt (spoiler) Kurt's going to find a lil something Emma has about him...