Chapter 14

LILY was late to practice once again, as in the morning Arianna had taken her to a seamstress and purchased one gown, one nightgown and two sets of pants and a shirt, for fighting.

As a result, she was properly attired for the day's practice. One of the trainers, a stern, older man, was teaching them the basics of sword fighting. Luckily, her batch-mates were about as inexperienced as she was.

After learning some simple jabs and parries, she had been ordered to spar with Iressa, a slightly younger girl who had been friendly to her.

They were much slower than the other groups, but it didn't hinder them much. Lily, for her part, was still uncomfortable with a blade. It didn't feel right in her hands, somehow, and she felt off-balance while wielding it.

Still, she fought, and was pleased to see that she was learning. She wasn't all that strong, but their trainer had said that she would improve quickly, a comment that had made her flush.

They were allowed a break for lunch, which they all ate together, sitting in a small circle. Arianna had packed her lunch and given it to her, and she ate it peacefully, the wind blowing cool against her sweat-soaked clothes.

"And then, he tripped!" Lily looked up with a grin as Ada directed the comment to Venix, who she had sparred with it.

Venix frowned, "I did no such thing."

Ada laughed, "Oh, really? You were about to win, but suddenly my sword was at your throat. Care to explain how?" Venix grumbled, and the rest of them laughed.

"I did see that," Iressa added, grinning.

"Oh, we all know how clumsy Ven is," Vena, Venix's twin sister, said. Venix glowered at her, but Vena stared smugly back, "At least I won my duels."

"Not all of them!" Cried Brennon, who had sparred with Vena. Vena raised an eyebrow, and he looked down, "Just most of them." Vena snorted, and the girls burst into laughter once again.

"You're ganging up on us just because you're four to one!" Venix said, folding his arms.

"Or because we're better fighters," Ada said innocently, and Venix turned to Lily.

"Lily, back us up here. You're the only one who hasn't said anything."

Lily opened her mouth, unsure of what to say. They all turned to her expectantly, and she shoved her head into her hands. "You did lose most of your duels," her voice came out muffled, but the rest of them heard it.

"Ha!" Ada and Vena cried out in unison, so loud that all the other soldiers-in-training turned to look at them. They blushed and went silent.

"I can't believe this. Lily, you've betrayed me!" Venix said, putting a hand to his chest dramatically and leaning back, catching himself just before he fell to the ground. Lily shook her head at him.

"She knows where her loyalties lie," Iressa said triumphantly, through a mouthful of vegetables.

Vena crinkled her nose, "Table manners, Iri."

"What table?" Iressa responded, gesturing around them. Vena sighed and rubbed her forehead with her hand.

"Barren ground," Vena cursed, mumbling the words.

Venix gasped loudly, "Mind your language, missy! And you're talking about manners."

Vena snorted, "Look who's talking. The boy who can't even go a day without swearing."

Venix raised his eyebrows, "Alright, first, I am a man, not a boy. Second, I most certainly can go a day with the purest language there is."