Chapter Three- Moi

In her hometown, things were rough. Thugs filled the streets, and bullies filled the schools. Money was short in Moi's large family. Seven mouths to feed was more than enough to cause some trouble. Other issues for the family were located in the bickering over the spending of the money, and over the shared two bedroom, one bath house. Moi had three sisters and two brothers. Moi's mother, Jule, had raised the kids as a single mom, having lost her husband to a job site accident a few years ago. The family included, Jule, Moi, who was fourteen, Emeline, who was seven, Molly and Mea, who were nine, Dave, who was eleven, and her little brother Seth, who was four. The scraps that weren't accepted by any of the six children at dinner, were fed to Bacon, the cat who visited the house daily.

         Moi was awake in her bedroom, laying in bed, staring up at the ceiling. She lay in wonder about what her life could be. "If Father hadn't died," she thought, "Would we have money? Could I have what all the other children have and not be teased for the rags I wear to school?" Wishful thinking. She would lay there till the thought had passed and she slipped quietly into slumber.