Chapter Six- Melanie

She wasn't born deaf. Due to the negligence of her parents, at age two she developed a common ear infection in both ears, and was not taken to the doctor. Left to fester over a year, the damage to her ears became permanent. By the time she was taken to the doctor, it was far too late. The doctors didn't care enough to file a law suit against her parents, though. Too much paperwork.

          Her parents weren't the only ones who made fun of her for it, though. She was bullied in school and had virtually no friends. Her parents never bothered with an interpreter to help teach and translate Melanie's sign language. Instead, Melanie taught her self by watching YouTube videos and had to become very good at reading lips.

          She wasn't treated horrible. Not completely abused. She was physically okay now, and verbal mistreatment was not taken to extremes. Not to be mistaken, she still was not treated the way she deserved.

         "Dear Diary,

Well, there goes another day of school. Just stares today, nothing worse. We had a test in math, but while Mr. Willard was trying to explain the topic, I could not read what he was saying. I think I did okay though. Reading was  a different story though. Mrs. Elco READ THE PASSAGE ALOUD without showing it on the board like usual. Then we were expected to write a summary. I know I bombed that. 

I wish the teachers cared more about me. I wished they cared more in general. If they are supposed to "help us succeed, " then why am I almost failing half my classes. Never once, has a teacher asked what was wrong, or tried to answer my questions. HECK, I DON'T THINK HALF OF THEM KNOW I'M DEAF!

I wish just one word could be understood. That's all the world needs, one word. KINDNESS. The most important word. A very useful word. It could make all the difference.

See ya later,

Melanie Armour"