Chapter Ten- Melanie

Melanie was back at school. She was waiting for her teacher to arrive to class. She slumped in her chair, which was located in the front of the room, and spun her head to watch her classmates carry on their conversations. She could read very few, as they were all talking very fast, eager to finish before Mrs. Elson arrived.

           It was a good five minutes before she did, but once Mrs. Elson entered the room, all mouths stopped moving. She wasn't feared, but rather greatly respected. As she walked to her desk, Melanie's eyes followed her monogramed coffee mug as she set it on her neatly organized desk. They then drifted to her mouth, as she took her place standing in the front of the room. The only upside to the front was that Melanie could easily read her teachers lips.

         "Today, you will brainstorm for a new project. I want you to do something you believe may change someone's life. Now this can be as simple as giving a gift or sending a message."

           Melanie's thoughts drifted elsewhere as her teacher finished the instructions, but she caught the very end. 

          "I would like you to write a page about your gesture in your notebook, due by next Friday. Are there any questions?"

           No one signaled to a question, so the teacher sat down at her computer and started typing. It was not until the bell that Melanie had decided what she was going to do. It was simple, and unlikely to make a difference, but she would try. All she needed was a trip to the dollar store.