Chapter 2: 1-J? More Like 1-Gay

"Did anyone catch how long it would take for our letters from UA to arrive?" Stanley asked.

"Of course not. We're all dumbasses." I looked up from my phone. "Though it should probably be sometime this week."

The 2 of us were in the room Pierre and I shared. Stan had come in with the question that nobody knew the answer to. Pierre had busied himself with his oboe however and played through multiple scales and chorales.

"I already got accepted into the other school for my last year of middle school," Pierre said as he turned the page in the method book. "Maybe yours will arrive today. 5 days have already passed, y'know."

"Maybe." I turned back to my phone and searched for 18th-century waistcoats.

It was silent until Pierre resumed playing his oboe. Through the relatively silent room, there was a shout from Keith. A few seconds later, Keith burst through the door. He had the biggest grin on his face as he held 1 envelope in 1 hand and held 2 others in his other.

"GUESS WHO WAS ACCEPTED INTO THE HERO COURSE!?" he shouted as he threw an envelope to me and another to Stan. "THIS GUY!"

Keith turned around and left the room while he slammed the door behind him. I opened my letter and skimmed through the paper. I quickly reread it and I grinned. I let out a whoop of joy before I ran to Stan's side. He quickly smiled at the letter too. I hugged him then let go.

"WE MADE IT!" I screamed.

"Really?" Pierre set his oboe down. "Did Evan make it too?"

A scream of excitement from across the hall answered Pierre's question. We glanced at each other and burst into laughter. Despite the low odds of being accepted, we still all made it save for Pierre who needed to finish middle school.

~~~~~

"TRISTAN, WAKE UP! IT'S THE 1ST DAY OF SCHOOL," Pierre shouted.

"Oh shi-" I whisper-screamed as I rolled out of my bed.

My blankets had fallen off with me and buried me. I kicked them off as Pierre laughed. At least I hadn't slept on the top bunk last night. I stood up and faced Pierre. He was already dressed in his uniform with a dark blue jacket, yellow tie, white-collared shirt, and dark blue pants. My uniform was on the desk chair. Pierre left the room to give me space and so he could eat breakfast. I quickly threw off my PJs and put my uniform on.

In the hallway, Keith struggled to correctly tie his necktie. I left him to struggle as I entered the kitchen. There were waffles on a plate in the center of the table. A bottle of syrup was next to the small stack. I grabbed 2 waffles and ate them before my dad entered. Pierre, who had been drinking milk, put the glass in the sink.

"Are you ready to go to school?" my dad asked Pierre.

"Yeah," he said.

The 2 left the apartment. I glanced at the time on the clock on the wall. It was nearly time for my brothers and me to leave. Evan did a catwalk in as Keith had his arms crossed behind him. Evan purposely took as long as humanly possible to pick up a waffle. Once he picked up a waffle, Keith pushed him aside and grabbed the waffles that remained.

"Stan already ate," Keith said as I stared.

"Okay, but I could have eaten some more waffles too." I took the last bite of my waffle. "HEY, FLAMBOYANT GAY, WE'RE IN CLASS 1-J RIGHT?"

"YES, WE'RE IN THE SAME CLASS AS KAWAMORI!"

"So his name is finally revealed to me," Keith muttered.

A moment passed before everyone was ready and Stan came out of his room. Our mom told us good luck and we walked to UA. Evan continually glanced around, Stan cracked his fingers, and Keith casually swung his arms. Then there was me who scratched at my nose. It was a nervous habit, I knew it was harmful, yet I never stopped.