n i n e

nine

7:13am december 23rd

"okay everybody ready?" joe whispered in the darkness.

"yeah," whispered caleb, accompanied by the nods of almost all the other kids, including millie. almost.

"wait my foot's stuck," noah whispered aggressively.

"in what?" sadie asked.

"the laundry basket,"

joe sighed at noah's comment, "noah, how? literally how?"

"i got it" caleb said, as he pushed through the other kids crowded through the doorframe to reach noah. it was early in the morning and the shades were down, so they could only see with the filtered light peeking through holes in the thick fabric.

millie heard a sudden movement, and caleb and noah both grunted before noah said confidently, "never mind. i got it. let's do this,"

"you got it?" caleb said, "i got—-okay fine. fine,"

"can i light it and you won't freak out?" joe asked, ignoring caleb's comment.

"yes, joe. light it," noah responded.

"oh my god shut up, you guys, he's probably awake," sadie whisper-yelled.

suddenly, joe struck a match against the box and lit the candle, "okay okay! before it burns out! one, two three,"

"FINN" they all yelled.

with all six pairs of eye staring at him, finn shot up in his bed, his heart pounding. he glanced towards where the scream had come from and saw six people standing in the doorframe. and they conveniently started to sing.

"happy birthday to you

happy birthday to you

happy birthday dear finnnnn

happy birthday to you"

despite the simplicity of the song, caleb, sadie and gaten had all harmonized the song perfectly and it sounded like angels singing.

it was finn's birthday. obviously.

no one had really talked about it, except for when it was briefly mentioned when millie and joe were shopping for his present.

and now they all crowded around finn's bed, with joe holding a plate with a trader joe's chocolate croissant with a lit candle stuck in it.

finn has clearly been just woken up, as you could tell by his barely-opened eyes and how fluffy his hair was. and finn's eyes were on the croissant the whole time, up until the point where joe placed it in front of him to blow out.

"thanks guys," finn said, after he blew out the candle, "i love waking up at—," finn glanced at the clock, "seven thirteen in the morning to get a chocolate croissant and a mini-musical to start the day,"

"good," joe said, "because that's exactly what we did. there's a bigger breakfast waiting for you downstairs when you're ready. bacon. omelette. french toast, sausage,"

finn chuckled as the kids filed out from the room. millie and joe both stayed as the rest of the kids went downstairs.

"you feeling good?"

"i'm feeling tired," finn said as he placed his birthday croissant on his nightstand.

"you feeling old?"