f o u r t e e n

fourteen

december 31st

"finn can you just do the braid, please?"

it was the first thing sadie had said upon entering the living room. she was practically at finn's heel, chasing him around the room, repeating the same question over and over again right into finn's ear.

"sadie, i'm busy," finn insisted, as his fingertips fiddled with the blue tie, before he threw it to that it hung like a scarf around his neck.

"you're dressed!" sadie exclaimed.

"yea but it's gonna take me like two hours to figure out how to put on this tie, so leave me alone, thank you very much," finn said, walking away from her, pressing the kitchen swing door open.

sadie groaned in frustration, her hands curled into fists at her sides. she met millie's eyes, pointing at the door which he left through, "millie, please tell him to do the braid,"

millie furrowed her eyebrows, "the what?"

"the braid. the braided crown thingy he did  when i went to jacab's birthday party," sadie clasped her hands together, clearly frustrated. sadie then quickly closed her eyes, sucking in a deep breath, seeming to recenter herself before claiming, "finn is a spectacular hairstylist, yet he won't take pity on me,"

millie raised her eyebrows, a warm smile painted onto her face, "finn does hair?"

"like a pro. i have no idea where he learned it from. please, please ask him to-- wait-- finn!!!"

finn's voice could be heard from the kitchen room, "sadie, i'm not doing the braid,"

"get in here!" sadie yelled, walking towards the door. finn tried walking through the door at the same time as she did, and they nearly collided. finn had a chocolate croissant in his hand, nearly completely eaten.

"what!?" finn asked, his mouth partially full with croissant.

"okay, hear me out," sadie said, stepping back, towards millie with clasping her hands, "millie has never ever experienced this magnificent gift which you possess. i think she would greatly benefit-- as in like, be really happy--- if you use me as a model for your braid,"

finn kept shaking his head, as he downed the last of the pastry, "sadie, i already told you, this tie--"

"i can tie a tie," millie said suddenly.

millie mentally slapped herself in the face for saying that. she knew finn enough to know that that the tie was just an excuse for not braiding. millie expected to turn towards finn to see a face of panic, regret, or embarrassment. but he was smiling.

though his eyebrows were furrowed, the corners of his lips turning up to form the slightest smile, "no way,"

he seemed impressed. but the way he said, "no way," sounded like a passive-aggressive challenge that she would have to overcome. and she could deal with that.

"it's easier than the rainbow road," millie stated, pretending to crack her neck, feigning a warm-up routine for nothing but a simple tie. she rose from the sofa she sat on top, nearing finn.