f i f t e e n

fifteen

december 31st

it was a mansion.

apparently lilia's father was a big business man that used to hire agents for famous actors and actresses, and his late wife was an actress. it definitely reflected in their real estate. the beautiful plants (that she couldn't really see because of the snow), the lights, and the extravagant decorations around the house were magnificent and suddenly millie felt small.

joe stopped before knocking on the door and turned to the kids.

"if any of you aren't on your best behavior, i'm suing,"

noah drew his eyebrows together, "dude, you stole my line"

joe raised his eyebrows in return, "yes. i do what i want. this is dictatorship not a democracy,"

then he turned around and rang the doorbell as noah feigned an offended look.

it took all but a few seconds for the large wooden door to click open, and a woman dressed in an extravagant, pink dress with sequins decorating the fabric, clinging tightly to her waist answered. she had golden blonde hair that was curled, and she wore bright red lipstick and a welcoming smile.

"mrs. buckingham ! looking absolutely lovely, must i say," joe said, as he leaned in for a hug. if it was even possible, her smile perked up even more when her eyes scanned joe and the kids.

"joey!!" the woman said, holding one hand out for a hug. with the other hand, she held a some kind of fancy drink with a tiny umbrella topping it off, "our favorite father figure and his wonderful children"

"aw stop, mrs.buckingham they're not that wonderful" he replied, faking a bashful tone. mrs.buckingham laughed before inviting us in.

"come in! come in! it must be freezing," she said, as the kids filed in one by one, sadie and millie trailing the rest.

sadie started to shed her coat as she leaned over towards millie and quietly said, "mrs.buckingham is lilia's stepmom. she's really nice and bubbly. kinda matches noah's energy only convert it into mom energy,"

millie nodded. as she passed through the door, mrs.buckingham waved at her, "you're millie right?"

millie felt even smaller.

she nodded, "uh... yeah. that's me,"

why did you say it like that?? a simple yes would've sufficed.

mrs.buckingham smiled even wider, "amazing! we're so excited to have you here! we'll be here in case you need anything at all, but joe usually has it covered,"

her words were warmer than her smile, and they felt so sincere against millie's eardrums. millie nodded, before mustering out a "thank you,"

as mrs.buckingham left her to speak to joe and the other guests, millie turned her attention to the interior of the house and took in its brilliant decorations, pertaining to the new year specifically.

she noticed she was in a large room, with a spiral staircase on the right, where adults were drinking and talking. a crystal chandelier topped off the room, giving it a golden glow. faint piano music played in the background. it felt like some strange modern rendition of a 20's ballroom, only she didn't remember joe saying the party had a theme.