s i x t e e n

SIXTEEN 

january 7th

"jesus christ, joe, you're really gonna use doja as background music? crank that bitch up" noah yelled from the back of the car. he was sitting in the last seat with caleb.

millie turned back to look at him and laughed. they were all dressed in their work uniforms. it was saturday, so naturally they had to all work. except for millie of course, who didn't have a job yet. joe thought it'd be best for her to settle in first before she thought about working so she wouldn't be too stressed.

instead, today she'd get to see her new school. lilia and maddie said they'd come to help her tour since the other kids worked, and saturday was the day the counselor could see her to talk about her schedule.

finn was driving today. he and caleb were the only kids with their lisences and noah had his permit, though he drove with joe alone, who said it was "a terrifying experience."

nevertheless, noah persisted with the idea that his driving was perfect, aside from the occasional curb jumps.

as joe turned up the music, millie eyed finn; well, obviously not his face, but the back of his head, his dark curls bouncing every time they went over a bump or hit a pothole.

finn was likely her closest friend at the foster home so far. he was still very reserved, but he opened up to her more than anyone else had. it had only been five days since the new years party, but millie has crashed his private guitar sessions in his room nearly every day. she didn't even say much, most of the time. she just liked to hear him play.

their witty banter was her favorite part of the day. he was serious and kind when he needed to be, but maintained a rather relaxed kind of humor, where he could tease her and the other kids. she liked it that way.

they had just finished up a conversation about the best kind of chocolate bar when joe volunteered finn to drive.

she had argued about her disgust of nuts in chocolate bars, to which he disagreed with vigorously, claiming the nuttiness and crunchiness of nuts added to the experience.

"alright kids, once we get there's we're going to file out quick and switch drivers, okay? i don't wanna see slackers or else we'll block traffic, got it?" joe said, and millie noticed they were a few blocks away from the entrance of the mall.

the kids nodded, as they grabbed their bags and secured it in their hands. gaten put his hand on the door handle, waiting for the car to stop.

"finn, give the signal for when you're safely parked," joe said, "millie, hop in the passenger seat after everyone files out,"

millie nodded, smiling.

millie couldn't understand why the tensions were so high; it really wasn't a huge deal whether or not they stopped for a while. traffic could go around them; the lane was big enough.

but as soon as finn rolled to a stop, he waved his hand forward and joe yelled, "alright everybody move out,"

everything started moving at once, they filed out as if they had practiced this a million times, exiting in an orderly fashion. millie was the last one out and she shut the door quickly before hopping in the passenger seat. joe opened millie's window to yell at the kids.

"alright, any issues, call me!" joe said as he sped away, "i love you, my beautiful children,"

millie giggled.

millie looked back at the group through the side mirror as they were recovering from their speedy and unexpectedly athletic exit. they began walking slowly towards the entrance of the mall, and as joe drove away, millie watched as their figures shrunk in the car's mirror.