thirteen

thirteen

december 28th, 2019

millie dozed off so quickly that she barely remembered finn leaving the room. she had a fuzzy memory of asking him to stay with her, but woke up around 11pm alone, with no one but sadie snoring on the other side of the room. she found a melatonin pill and a cup of water by her bedside, most likely brought by joe.

she reached for it, but she was cut off by a growl in the pit of her stomach. she was hungry; which made sense given that she had only eaten a slice of pizza and a garlic knot that day.

she threw her comforter off the side and tried not to wake a snoring sadie as she crept downstairs, trying to minimize the sound effects of her feet on the carpeted staircase.

she opened the fridge and found some yogurt in the top shelf, and it was her favorite— blueberry. she grabbed a spoon and two cold slices of pizza, which she heated up in the microwave. she made sure to watch the microwave's timer so that she could revel in the satisfaction of stopping the microwave one second before it went off.

she didn't want to eat too much, but she felt like a yogurt and some pizza made up for her lost meals.

after eating the pizzas, she retrieved a spoon for the yogurt and she walked through the threshold to return to her room to finish it, but as she passed by the messy living room, she stopped behind the couch.

she had the sudden urge to do something. she didn't want to sleep. her brain was wide awake and she knew how that would turn out, even with the melatonin on her dresser.

she considered watching cartoons but decided it would be too loud. instead, she observed the messy room with video game controllers and board games scattered in the floor and small table. joe must've gone to sleep early, because knowing him, he wouldn't have tolerated the mess that lay before her.

millie sat down on the couch.

on the table in front of her was scrabble.

she placed her yogurt on the table, trying to make sure the spoon's weight wouldn't topple the yogurt casing.

her eyes focused on the letters scattered across the table.

millie hated scrabble. she always sucked with words. she just supposed her brain sucked at seeing patterns in general, but words especially. she envied people who could look at a word and rearrange to make it another word. 

paige was a creative writing major. she loved scrabble.

millie looked up at the ceiling and took a deep breath as she tried to keep her eyes from glassing over. don't think about paige.

she looked back at scrabble, taking a deep breath.

the word tea was already arranged in the middle of the board.

millie studied the board for a few seconds, tilting her head to find a word that would fit.

teath—- no. teat. teagle. teas! that could work, but it's not very original.

maybe tea-f .

like leaf but tea?

probably not a word.