Chapter 6

"Wait WHAT?! WHY?!" I stood there in disbelief. This doesn't make any sense. "Dr. Saleem, I can't be rejected. I'd have to wait for the next shift to begin which will be in 3 months. I will be behind. Besides, no hospital will accept me after my paperwork is done, it'll be too late. Doctor please, you have to give me another chance!" I've only been here for 3 days. I was panting, seeking air. My lungs hurt from the lack of sufficient air. My eyes where full of tears threatening to fall. No, no, no, no, no! This isn't happening! This can't be true! I must be in a nightmare!

"Well you should've thought of that when you missed those meetings." Dr. Marwan answered. This was frustrating. "Doctors I swear I never knew about the meetings. If I did, I would've definitely came." I wanted to scream with frustration. I felt myself fume with anger. This can't be just because of missing a couple of meetings. There's something bigger behind this. What could it be? I shook my head to stop thinking. I have to stay focused and keep myself together. I'm in a battle, I must continue my cause.

"Doctors I assure you, when I was assigned here I was fully committed to work. I could've stayed home until the strike was over. But I didn't. I chose to come here and start my internship year." I took a breath to calm my nerves and continued. "Besides, I'm against the strike if it meant not working during emergencies. Sure they're after a good cause but it mustn't involve the emergency room. People shouldn't pay for others mistakes and get labeled as Collateral Damage. So yeah, I take my job very seriously."

I looked at their faces and tried to make out a reaction from them. Are they happy? Are they angry? Am I doomed? But all I got was silence for a while till Dr. Saleem decided to break it. "You talk of the strike and patients being collateral damage as if you're suffering with the doctors." He suddenly pointed a finger to me accusingly. "Don't you dare speak of them like you care! Your father is at fault in all that's going on. He's responsible for everything. He is the minister of Health. That means he should end this dilemma at once and grant the residents what they ask for, so they can return to their places and resume their work." He then said the next line in a mocking tone, waving his hands in the air. "But NOO! He decides to negotiate with them on their demands so we get to work with spoiled, worthless interns such as yourselves!"

BINGO! There it was. I knew it didn't make any sense. This was a personal revenge. He blamed my dad for the absence of the residents and having to work with fresh new, inexperienced and may I quote 'worthless' interns. It must be frustrating for him, so he needed someone to blame. And since the minister is my dad, then ta-da... you know the rest.

I fought a strong urge to roll my eyes in front of him but I failed miserably. This is SO unprofessional. If he had something to say, then he should go to the ministry and tell the minister himself what he thinks. Why am I being dragged into this dilemma? I'm not even into politics. I decided to ignore the latest comment and tried to get back to the point we obviously missed. "Dr. Saleem. I'm sorry you feel that way about us, but I can assure you I'm a hard worker and a fast learner. I love being a doctor. I've attended all the activities, just ask Dr. Rahim" I pointed to where Dr. Rahim was sitting and yes he was there the whole time, watching me in disappointment, observing our argument. "He instructed me through the schedule of activities but he accidentally missed to mention the meetings. That's why I never attended any of the..."

"How can you say that I accidentally missed to mention the meetings?" Dr. Rahim suddenly interrupted me. "I told you to be there before any activity at 8 am?" He scuffed and then turned his head away.

Wow! Sitting there the entire time watching me clinging to any hope that raises so I can grab it and keep my job, and yet you never tried to defend me in any way. Instead you decide to defend yours? Just WOW!

I knew I didn't have a chance in this argument, so I just brushed it away. I didn't want to make my -once kind- attending look bad in front of the monster –aka Dr. Saleem- so I apologized to him saying I didn't hear it and all. He's the one I'm going to be stuck with for the remainder of my 3-months shift. I was tired of arguing.

All I needed was another chance.

A/N

Hello guys. No time no see

I'm so sorry i had to disappear like that. I had exams and i had to focus :D But I'm done now and waiting for the results... Wish me luck.

So what do you think about this chapter? tell me your thoughts in the comments below and please push the little shiny star :D

This chapter is dedicated to the queen of  horror Ms_Horrendous . I just love her imagination. xoxo