Chapter 7

"So please, will you give me another chance?" I pleaded smiling. "It was just a misunderstanding and we all got off on the wrong foot." I directed my puppy eyes towards Dr. Saleem. "Pleeeeeease!" I know that was cheesy but I sensed his hesitation. They were reconsidering it. He was reconsidering it.

The silence was deafening. The sound of the clock ticking had never been so annoying. My gaze went from one attending to another in anticipation. When I was about to give up I suddenly heard "Oh come on! Just give her a chance." Dr. Nasr, another attending and the youngest of them all. He used to teach us back in med school. He was so cool. "Don't scare the kid away from her first week like that. Be patient."

Dr. Saleem looked at him and said calmly. "The kids must learn discipline. If they are not disciplined then..."

"Enough with the rough talk already. Don't take it out on her, she's just a kid. You're a professional doctor. You know when to draw the line. Now give the girl her job back!"

O.M.G! I can't believe what I just heard. I can't believe he stood up to him, for ME. I wanted to scream with joy but I remembered that I haven't heard the final decision yet which killed my spirit in an instance. I looked around and saw that everyone in the room was staring at Dr. Grumpy with anticipation, including the janitor in the far end of the room. When did she get in here? I guess I was so riled up I didn't hear her coming in. I stood there too staring at him, my heart beating erratically, awaiting his decision.

Dr. Saleem then let out a long, loud sigh and said in annoyance. "Ok! You can have your job back."

"I do?!"

"Yes, you do..." I didn't hear beyond the word yes because I yelped and jumped with happiness, until I saw him glaring at me. I stopped immediately and cleared my throat. "I mean, thank you Dr. Saleem I really appreciate it. I promise, you won't regret it!" in the corner of my eye, I could see Dr. Nasr laughing at my reaction.

"Ok. Now that we got this over with, can you please let me finish?" He demanded.

"Of course, Dr. Saleem" I answered smiling. I couldn't contain my happiness

"As I was saying, you have the job back. But..."

Leave it to the BUTs to wipe off any trace of a smile you had. He continued as he took in my expression. "Your attendance will be considered starting from Sunday." I raised my brows and he smirked. "It's as if you weren't here from the beginning."

I drew out a breath I never knew I was holding in relief and smiled at him "Fair enough." It's not like I attended them anyway. I convinced myself. Besides, I really wanted to get out of there.

He stared at me for a moment and then continued. "You're dismissed. Go work in whatever that is you have today and get out of here".

Dr. Rahim announced that today was the outpatient clinic and mumbled something about being already late. He then stood up and motioned to me to follow. On my way out, I turned my head to where Dr. Nasr was sitting and beamed at him with gratitude for what he did. He winked at me playfully and by that I walked out of the dreadful room to resume my work.

When I reached the outside, I began to breathe deeply to ease my shaken body. My hands were trembling and I almost collapsed on the floor because of my sudden jelly-legs. I had to lean on the nearest wall for strength. I felt tears trickling down my face. I realized that I've never been as terrified in my life as I was moments ago. I thought my life was ruined, forever. But somehow, it didn't. Allah sent me Dr. Nasr to stand up for me. I owe him my life. But this was just the beginning. Until the strike was over, I'll be bullied in more ways than one. What had just happened was a demonstration. I just have to brace myself for things to come and never lose faith in my Allah.

I knew from that moment that my life was never going to be the same again.

A/N

Pheeew! That was too close. I finally got my 2nd chance , but i have to use it wisely.

What did you think? show me your thought in the comments and please hit the adorable little star :P

The chapter is dedicated to the sweet and truly beautiful Miss_Painite