Chapter Four

"what happened?!" Nathan demanded.

"I thought it would be best to let her know who we are. She was not listening to us" Brian replied calmly.

"look at what you have done Brian...I never doubted your decisions. But she hasn't even been here for more than a few hours." Nathan fumed

"I think..." Nathan continued with a pained face. "I think we should just erase her memories and send her back. She doesn't belong here"

"what are you saying?! Have you gone mad? Our pack is as good as dead if we have an Alpha without a mate." Brian retorted.

"just imagine, the pain you'll go through if you reject her. She wouldn't be affected, but it could break you. Did you forget what happened to the beta of the Southern pack? He lost his sanity after rejecting his mate."

"What can I do right now? I can't do anything. I cannot tell the world she is my mate. She'd become an easy target for my enemies and what's worse, my own pack wouldn't accept her. I cannot see her pain. She's so fragile and vulnerable, I cannot be the reason of her suffering."

"you will not be the reason of her pain" Brian reassured him. "you need to be her strength"

"You're worried about her because you haven't seen her" Brian continued. "she's no ordinary human. There's a reason why she was chosen as your mate. If you refuse to see her because you can't bear seeing her in pain, you're running away from this. I think its high time you see her."

---

Nathan held the door knob of Amelia's room. He could feel his heart beat fast. That night, he felt her presence just like how he felt her presence now. He couldn't bear to see her then because it didn't take long for him to realise, she wasn't a werewolf. Yet her presence had the power and she did have a scent of her own.

Mustering up courage, Nathan entered the room.

His eyes landed on the girl sitting on the bed, staring outside the window. As soon as she felt a presence, she turned around to meet his eyes and, in that moment, Nathan knew that he couldn't let her go.

Her chocolate brown eyes seemed angry at his intrusion. She sat on the bed, with long hair and dirty clothes from the previous night. There were cuts on her legs which bothered him immensely. Her eyes looked puffy, as if she had cried just moments ago. Yet when she saw him, she glared at him as if she wasn't crying.

"who are you?" she demanded.

Nobody spoke to Nathan that way. But when she did, it didn't bother him. He was worried she wouldn't speak to him at all. He appreciated any form of conversation.

"My name is Nathan" he replied.

"why are you here? What to do want? Why have you people locked me here?!" she demanded.

It hurt him that she couldn't recognise him as her mate. She couldn't feel the same way as he did. He couldn't blame her.

He tried to move towards her but she screamed.

"Stay away from me, you animal"

Her words pierced his heart. He was so hurt that he couldn't say anything. She hated him. She hated his kind. He didn't want to show her that she was his weakness.

Amelia noticed the pain on his face. Did her words really hurt him so much? Why was he playing the victim when clearly, she was the one suffering?

It bothered her that he didn't react like Brian or Mathew. He didn't say anything to her, just looked pained.

He turned around and headed towards the door.