Twenty-eight

Eunbyul watched as the guards returned Jinyoung and Hyunjin late at night. They were both bruised and bleeding all over.

There were only two jail cells in the palace and the whole royal family were spilt up into the two; nine people in both. Jinyoung was forced  into the one with Eunbyul and Hyunjin was forced into the other.

Ever since King Naymoor began to rule Wonderland again, the days had become colder and nights were almost unbearable. The freezing stone walls of the jail cell felt like ice against their skins and all they had was one small, ratted blanket to keep warm.

When the guards shoved the boys in their cells, everyone else was asleep apart from Eunbyul. Hyunjin fell unconscious a minute after the guard left.

The First Princess watched as Jinyoung winced and groaned while he pulled himself to one of the walls. She ripped a piece of her dress off and poured a bit of vinegar on it before dragging herself towards him.

"It might sting but it will help," was all she said as she dabbed the piece of fabric on his cuts.

He winced again.

"Why bother? Tomorrow I'll be whipped once again. I'll probably even die soon. There's no point."

"Hope and faith," she whispered. "You need a little more of those two."

"I had them both. They left with each realisation that this is how life is going to be. Let's face it, Eunbyul. What hope do we have? If anyone tries to help us, they'll be decapitated. No one is going to do anything..."

She sighed as she rested her head on his shoulder.

"I know... I just wanted to be positive about it. I also wanted to make you feel better."

"And I appreciate that," he tried to smile at her. It wasn't much of a smile, just a slight curve on the end of side of his lips. Nothing else. But that was enough for her.

"I wish Hyuna had been more careful. Why did she have to involve herself with him?"

"Well, she wasn't alone... Changbin was with her but by the time he realised it was a big mistake, it was too late. King Naymoor was the one who killed him."

"I always knew Changbin was involved but he sacrificed his life to save Hyunjin's. I forgave him after that. Hyuna couldn't care less if all of us died. Just as long as she's the stupid Queen."

"Don't take this the wrong way but I see your mother in her. She would totally do that... If she was still alive, of course."

Forgot to mention, when King Naymoor took control of Wonderland, he killed the Third Queen off.

"I get what you mean. All of us see it. Sometimes I wish she wasn't my sister and my mother wasn't my mother." She pulled her legs to her chest. "I wish I was Suzy. My whole life would be so much better... I would have a loving mother and a brother who doesn't ignore me. I would have a soon-to-be King chasing after me and most likely get married to him in the future. Everything would be amazing." She paused as she remembered their situation. "Everything would have been amazing."

Jinyoung stayed quiet as he simply stared at the bars ahead of them and the room in front of them. His eyes scanned the weapons and devices it displayed as he contemplated which of the weapons or devices he would prefer dying to. Or should he just wait for nature to take its course?

"I wish this was all over," he muttered. "One way or another." It was clear he meant death or a miracle. Once again, Eunbyul sighed.

"King Naymoor is a spirit... He rules both this life and the afterlife. Either way, we have to face his wrath."

And that was the cold, sad truth. No matter what they did, they had to face him.