Chapter 2: The Concert

As the lights dimmed, the opening band came out to play their songs before Foster the People took the stage. I don't even know who the opening band was or if I even liked them, I couldn't pay attention to them at all. I could only focus on who was standing off the stage, watching whoever was on stage.

It was them. Mark Foster, Cubbie Fink, Mark Pontius, Isom Innis, and Sean Cimino. There they were. Standing less than fifty feet from me, I was standing in the middle of the stage, right in front of the mic, I amazingly had an unobstructed view of them as they stood there and watched the band play. Then Cubbie looked over and saw me.

My heart stopped beating when he looked me dead in the eye. I couldn't look away, our gazes were locked and I could only think about how he thought that I was some freak. I don't know why I thought that, but I couldn't shake the feeling because he wouldn't look away, and my eyes were all red and puffy from all the crying that I've been doing. Then Cubbie finally tilted his head slightly to the side, as if trying to figure something out. He finally mouthed, "Are you alright there?"

I was shocked. He couldn't be talking to me. It just wasn't possible. Cubbie Fink was not talking to me, he must be talking to someone else. But I want to know for sure, so in response, I pointed at me and mouthed, "Who, me?"

He smiled and chuckled to himself. "Yeah you. Who else would I be talking to?"

I smiled. "Oh, I don't know, maybe someone around me?"

"Okay, whatever." He replied, rolling his eyes.

I can't believe I just had a conversation with him. This was equally the worst and best day of my life, so far. I was still looking at Cubbie, he was obviously still concerned about me, and I understand why he still was. I kind of changed the subject when he asked, so I mouthed back to him. "It's a long story, you probably wouldn't be interested. But I'm not alright, I hope your concert makes me feel a little better."

By this time, Mark Foster had picked up on our little conversation and joined in by waving a little to get my attention, I looked over at him and he smiled sympathetically at me. My heart fluttered, that was too much for me to handle. I just couldn't, he was too adorable!

"Hey, don't think that we wouldn't understand! I want to understand, can you explain it?"

I microscopically shook my head, so I wouldn't cause a distraction, and so people (and the band on stage) wouldn't think that it was a bad song or anything, but I don't even know what it sounded like.

"Dang, I wish there was some way we could help you, kid." Cubbie mouthed back.

"Actually there might be." Mark smiled.

I looked at them as if to ask how.

"Do you have backstage passes?"

I shook my head sadly. "We couldn't get them, I don't think they were selling any, but I don't know." I shrugged.

"Well, I have an idea." Mark replied as he went off to do something.

I looked at Cubbie for an answer as to what he was doing, but he just shrugged at me. Mark came back a couple of seconds later with a piece of paper and a pen. I looked at the piece of paper skeptically, but he held up one finger to mean "hold on a second."

He leaned over and started writing something on the paper. He looked up and asked if I was with anyone. I nodded and held up two fingers and pointed at my brothers, who were on either side of me, oblivious that I was talking to Mark and Cubbie. Mark gave me a thumbs up and scribbled something else down. Then he got the others, all of them, Cubbie, Pontius, Sean, and Isom, to write something down. I just couldn't tell what it was.