An Empty Life

Astoria Greengrass had never needed anyone else. Not her mother, always fussing over trivial things like her hair, clothes, or posture. Not her cold, distant father who was disappointed by his two female daughters. Not even Astoria's own sister, Daphne, who was as good at acting as she was pestering Astoria. And certainly, Astoria did not need any of the other shallow, snooty purebloods found in Slytherin.

     Even after the war and the Battle of Hogwarts, Astoria remained diconnected from the world. By day, she pretended not to hear her mother quietly blaming 'all those Mudbloods for ruining their lives' if anyone so much as sneezed. By night, Astoria tuned out Daphne's low sobs coming from next door. Unlike her family, Astoria felt no regrets for what went down her fifth year. She didn't even loathe Harry Potter and his allies like a good pureblood girl would have. In fact, she was almost thankful to him for shutting up the 'fine upstanding wizards and witches' like her parents and so many others who thought Lord Voldemort had the right idea.

     Families that were influential and we'll respected before the war were now actively avoided by the common folk, not to suggest that said families didn't keep to themselves before. But, there was one activity that got them together. All the wealthy families had been inviting each other to weddings for generations.

     Every pureblood family has one wish for their children: that they marry other rich and respectable purebloods and continue to be rich and respectable. Today was Daphne Greengrass's day to make her parents' wish come true. Pureblood weddings were always a good excuse for parents to brag about the advantageous match of the bride and groom, and to pave the way for new couples to meet and wed. Astoria just happened to be caught in the middle of it all.

     As she was the bride's sister, Astoria was automatically assigned the role of maid of honor, something which neither Daphne nor Astoria had agreed to. Nevertheless, here was Astoria, stationed at the alter next to the very tall and lanky groom who looked bored, if anything at all. Astoria quite disapproved the match and thought that her sister and this-Theodore Notes, was it?-could not be less compatible. Neither the bride nor the groom seemed remotely interested in each other, but they agreed to the match for other purposes. As the firstborn of the last of the Greengrasses, Daphne would eventually inherite every last galleon, sickle, and knut in the family vault. Likewise, the groom being the only child in his family would make the couple wealthy beyond belief. Hence, the marriage ensued, and the parents were pleased.

     The aftermath of the ceremony was  the worst part for Astoria. Her mother  steered her around the front hall of the house, trying to get Astoria to "mingle with the company." However, Astoria knew her mother's ulterior motive was to get her married, and fast. At twenty one, Astoria was almost an old maid, and weddings were taking place left and right. Eventually, one of those weddings had to be Astoria's.

     The entire day went by in a dreamlike manner, and Astoria barely knew where she was and what she was doing. She was in a far more pensive state of mind than the carefree wedding guests. They all chose to forget the war and what it left behind, Astoria thought. They think it won't haunt them anymore if they just play pretend. Astoria reviled those people, for she had failed to forget what had been left behind. Astoria refused to simply continue on as if nothing changed. She have been quiet and submissive before, but now Astoria was just an hollow person living an empty life.