Defiance

By now Astoria's mother had returned to "fetch the young couple" while Draco and Astoria exchanged looks of pure disgust. At the bottom of the stairs, Lucius and Narcissa Malfoy whispered, but promptly silenced upon seeing Mrs. Greengrass.

     "We've decided on a ceremony next week on Tuesday, out in the garden where Daphne's wedding was. And Astoria, the Malfoys have graciously invited you over for a luncheon and tea today. A perfect opportunity to discuss more wedding details," Mrs. Greengrass said, beaming.

     "Goodbye, then, Mother. Send my best to Father," Astoria replied, secretly very eager to escape her mother. Narcissa took her husband's arm and Astoria took Draco's, and they disappeared.

_______________________________________

     As soon as they arrived in the entrance hall, Narcissa turned to Astoria. "That woman is absolutely horrible. I don't know how she didn't manage to raise a daughter just like her."

     "Oh, but Mrs. Malfoy, she did. You just haven't had the pleasure of meeting my sister yet."

     "How unfortunate," added Mr. Malfoy. "Pleasure," he muttered as he stalked up the stairs.

     Taking no notice of her husband, Narcissa continued. "May I ask where your father was?"

     "My father prefers not to get involved in events like these. He believes they are frivolous and unecessary."

     "Yes, I can understand that," Narcissa replied softly. "I'll be upstairs if either of you need me." Draco and Astoria watched her leave, and as soon as they heard a door shut, Draco grabbed Astoria's hand and took her out to the garden.

     "Astoria, I have an idea. I think you'll like it."

     "What?"

     "It could all of this a bit less troubling. Show our parents that we have free wills. Even though we will get married, we can do it on our own terms."

     "Go on."

     "We don't have to have a stupid social event that we'll both hate. We could find time to ourselves, sneak off to the Ministry, and have it done there. There would be no reason for our parents to stop us if we were caught, and we would save them the pleasure of bragging to other purebloods about us."

     Astoria considered this. "Yes . . .I like that idea very much. But when could we sneak away long enough to get it done? Surely they won't leave us unchaperoned for more than a few minutes."

     "Yes, you're right . . . what about today?"

     "Today?! Are you quite insane? What about the luncheon and tea?"

     "You do realize my parents only said that to escape you mother," Draco stated.

     "But Draco, they'll notice we're gone."

     "Not if I tell them you're not feeling well and I'm escorting you home."

     Astoria paused. "Draco."

     Draco looked up.

     "I barely know you, but you are the only person a I know who knows what I've been through . . ." Astoria smiled sadly. "And you understand me Draco. But aren't we rushing into this? I know you hate the ways of our parents, but do you want revenge so badly?"

     "Astoria, there is no way I can say we aren't rushing into this. As for your other question, it's not just about revenge. I want to marry you Astoria."

     "Why me? I'm no different than any other quiet, obedient pureblood girl."

     "Yes you are. You don't try to forget. You refuse to play our parents' game. And you don't deserve to be with someone who doesn't care for or respect you at all."

     "But you barely know me."

     "I know enough to ask you something. Will you marry me, Astoria?"

     "This is insane."

     "But will you do it?"

     Astoria breathed in deeply, the stepped closer and looked up at Draco. "Yes. I will"

     Draco paused, smiling down at Astoria. The couple held each other for a moment, until Astoria had to remind Draco that her feet were no longer touching the ground.

     "Shall we go, then?"

     Astoria smiled up at him and nodded.