17. The Pilot

--Poe--

I wouldn't necessarily call myself a ladies' man. Sure, I enjoy interacting with women, and they seem to enjoy my company as well, but I don't make them swoon on purpose. 

Okay, that just makes me sound like a douche. Let me start again.

I've never had any problem holding a conversation with anyone. I like to talk, and people generally like to listen, so it always seems to work out. That being said, I cannot for the life of me fathom why it is so damn hard for me to even form simple words around Rey. It's not like she's exceptionally beautiful. 

Wait, that sounded douchey too.

Don't get me wrong. Rey is very attractive, but there's something about the fire in her eyes and strength in the way she carries herself that is incredibly intimidating. Again, not that I don't find her attractive, but I think everyone on the base would agree that she's pretty scary.

Maybe it's that air of danger around her that draws me in. Whatever it is, it's intoxicating, and also highly distracting--hence the inability to form sentences in her presence. But, like Finn reminds me after every wistful sigh, she is way out of my league. She is a Jedi, after all. 

Which brings us here, now, to the mess hall, where I start every day with the two most important people in my life.

Rey is deep in a conversation with us about strategies. What strategies, you ask? I wouldn't know. And I couldn't care less, apparently, because it isn't until Finn elbows me in the side that I realize Rey has been staring intensely into my eyes, waiting for a response.

"Sorry, what?" Jeez, I hope I'm not drooling.

"I was just asking what you thought of my plan. Are you in?" She asks again, eyes bright.

I glance quickly over at Finn, who gives a quick little shrug. "I, uh..." Come on, Poe. Spit it out! "I...think it's a great idea."

"Really?!" She beams at me and briefly squeezes my arm. "That's so great to hear. I knew you'd be on board. I just have to inform General Organa that the mission is back on." Rey jumps up from her seat and speed walks down the corridor to the bridge.

I'm left slightly dazed and very much confused as I watch her disappear around the corner. 

"Finn, buddy?"

"Yeah?"

"What the hell did I just sign up for?"

Finn laughs. "Man, you have got to stop drooling in front of her. If she didn't know before, she definitely does now. You're not even slightly subtle anymore." He picks up his fork and scrapes it against his already empty plate, trying to get every last molecule of food.

"Knows what? What are you talking about?" I try to play it cool but I'm pretty sure acting isn't one of my talents.

"That you're in love with her," Finn taunts, drawing out the L-word like a childish, well... child.

"I don't love her," I growl, shoving away from the table. Finn laughs and jogs to catch up with me as I stomp toward the infirmary. "She's the first Jedi I've ever met. I thought they were just a myth. She's legendary, buddy. That's why I'm so interested."

Finn shoots me that stupid shit-eating grin he always does when he thinks he's being clever. "Sure, Poe. Keep telling yourself that."

The infirmary comes into view but I stop Finn before he walks away. "What did I sign up for?" 

"A mission. The big mission. You seriously didn't hear a word she said?" Finn asks incredulously.

"Shut up. Just tell me."