24. Before You Go

--PHASMA--

"Captain, we've located the new Resistance base on Dalastine," my division leader says through the hologram.

"Excellent. And the scavenger girl?"

"Not here, ma'am. We've had the base under surveillance for three days now and she's nowhere to be found. We have reason to believe she has fled the system."

Irritation surges through me and my hands curl into fists at my side. "What evidence do you have of this?" I demand.

"The Millenium Falcon is gone, Captain. Our nearby sources claim it departed over a week ago and hasn't been seen since," the division leader explains. "What are your orders?"

I sigh and pull out a data tablet, checking nearby star systems to try and figure out where she might have gone. "Has the scouting squad discovered the base?"

"Yes, ma'am."

"Then they will be reporting back soon. Gather your division and return to The Supremacy. We are under strict orders from The Supreme Leader not to launch an attack until he determines the time is right." My mind flashes back to the conversation with General Hux, and I realize he was right in his assumption. Kylo Ren is not fit to lead the First Order. He's protecting the enemy by delaying our attack.

The division leader nods and ends the hologram; in the following silence I notice a presence standing behind me.

Spinning around with my hand on my blaster, I come face-to-face with Hux.

"I was right," he states smugly.

"So it seems."

The General holds his hands behind his back and paces pensively across the polished onyx floor. "He must have warned her we were closing in. There's no other explanation. No sane person would up and leave the protection of the Resistance unless absolutely necessary."

"Are you planning to overthrow him, General? It will be severely difficult to gather the support needed for your coup without alerting him of your intentions," I say, trying to keep my contempt for him from showing.

Hux smirks. "Oh, I know I can't do it alone. That's why you're going to help me."

"What makes you so sure I'll help?" I scoff.

His sly smile widens and his eyes shine with amusement. "Because if you don't, I'll go straight to Leader Ren and tell him all about the division you sent after his precious scavenger."

The silence between us is thick with tension. Anger bubbles up inside me, but I know that's exactly the reaction he was hoping for. Instead of giving him what he wants, I spin on my heel and storm out of the room, the heavy pounding of my boots not quite loud enough to drown out the sound of his laughter.

I won't be pushed around by slime like Hux. I'll let him get what he wants, then I'll tear it away before his very eyes.

--BEN--

Two months later...

It's been ten weeks since the dream.

The dream that reignited the spark of hope, that pulled me from the waves of desolation that were drowning me.

And now she's gone.

Hux's troops found the Resistance faster than I'd thought they would. They reported back, itching for a fight, so I let them. It went against everything I felt, everything I'd stopped trying to repress; every bone in my body screaming, begging me not to let her get hurt. But somehow I knew she wouldn't get caught in the battle.