27. War of Hearts

--REY--

I wake from a dreamless sleep to the sound of someone calling my name. The sudden influx of bright light has me reeling, the pain in my head throbbing in time with my heartbeat. "What?" I groan, struggling to keep my eyes open. Luke stands in the doorway of the small on-board infirmary, watching me intently.

"We're landing soon. Just wanted to give you a heads up." When I don't reply, Luke clears his throat. "Excuse me, your royal highness. Get up."

A grunt is the only response I can manage, and I hear Luke's exasperated sigh as he leaves the room. My eyes are heavy and I fight the fatigue that pulls me back into the sweet embrace of sleep.

"I guess I'm invisible then," a gruff voice says from behind me. I turn to look at the cot beside mine, noticing first the thick black blanket in a pile on the bed, and then the nearly imperceptible hazel eye and sliver of skin peeking from below.

"Ben?" A relieved laugh escapes me. "Why are you hiding?"

"I'm not hiding, I'm cold." He pokes his head out, releasing his hair in a haphazard explosion of raven curls. I start to smile, but I notice the blood matting his hair, the shallow cuts scattered across his face, and dark bruises encircling his tired eyes and my face falls.

"How do you feel?" I finally ask.

"Sore."

I snort. "Well that's a given. Care to elaborate?"

Ben curls tighter into himself and closes his eyes. "Ask me again tomorrow. My brain isn't working at the moment. Too tired."

The ship shudders and groans as we drop out of hyperspace, and Ben opens his eyes again with an irritated sigh. Once we've steadied, he stands and offers me his hand. I consider it for a moment, pondering over the weight of that simple gesture. So much has happened that my mind is still reeling, still struggling to comprehend one simple truth: Kylo Ren is dead.

"Rey?"

"Sorry, I was lost in thought." I smile at him and place my hand in his. The bond flares to life at the contact, and the air around us seems to come to life. My mind and body are caught in this strange empty space, like I'm caught midair and can't figure out how to get back down to the ground. I don't know who I am anymore. It's an unusual sensation, feeling like nothing has changed, yet nothing is as it once was. "Everything is going to be different now," I muse as we limp down the transport's halls.

"Yes."

"Are you scared?"

"No," he replies, voice steady and sure. "Remember what I said in the cave?"

Heat creeps across my face and neck as my mind wanders back to the cave. I try to remember the words, but I can't see past that moment, the kiss that upended my entire galaxy.

"We need to talk about that," Ben interrupts my thoughts.

"About what?" I ask innocently, having forgotten he can all but read my mind now. I hobble down the boarding ramp after Ben, attempting to distract myself by watching the X-Wing pilots congratulate one another.

He smirks. "Funny, the things your mind chooses to remember." I stare blankly at him, so he continues. "You remember the kiss, but not our bond."

"The what now?"

My heart stops beating. Icy dread stops me in my tracks.

Poe stands just to my right, helping BB-8 out of his orange and black T-70. The droid is quiet as he swivels his head between his wide-eyed master and me.