Chapter Six: Mentality

2018

From the time we start our second year of high school, I think it would be fair to say that we have already been presented to many different ways of thinking and perceiving the world. Of course, it wouldn't apply to everyone, because some people are so fortunate that they get sent to private institutions that are programmed to brain-wash them into becoming exactly what their special tier of society is supposed to be like.

If you didn't notice my sarcasm, I sure hope you go back and read that sentence again.

Mentality.

The book definition would be: the characteristic way of thinking of a person or group.

My definition is: how we see and approach the world and every living idea, based upon our own bias created by the "sponging" of different ideas, and "barring" of the ideas that do not suit our reality - or perceived reality, because every single person you meet has a different way of viewing the world, except for those special snowflakes in the very special private institutions (they put the 'private' ahead of anything and suddenly people think it means awesome, but most of the times it just means deprived).

The way I see and perceive a piece of art, is not the same way you do. The way I taste broccoli, is not the same way you do. The way I feel a song, is not the same you do. Therefore, I believe that we should stop hating pineapple on pizza. Thank you for coming to my TEDTalk.

Okay, but seriously now, no one sees the world the way you do, because no one has your very same eyes, and the very same brain behind it. And it amazes me that this can come as a surprise to some people. In this very same idea, is the base of why we have conflict.

There are people in the world who believe that there can only be peace if everyone believes in the same things, and leads the same way of life, and does not expect anything that the others do not also expect. Huh, communist much!

We have, and have had, wars based on differing religions. We are constantly hearing about wars based upon differing political views. There are tons of fighting happening over differing personal matters, such as gender, sexuality, marriage, abortion, adoption, etc. And, I don't know if you noticed, but we are surrounded by debates and arguments over differing mentalities as well.

People cannot fathom the reality of there being different realities.

But like, there are! There are approximately probably 7.7 billion of them (current world population in 2018... when this chapter is being written).

And the thing I want to talk about isn't even about accepting these realities, because I already do, but rather the need of disciples to gather more disciples which, in many occasions, trigger conflicts.

Listen, you want to be a supporter of Marijuana? Be my solemn guest.

You want to stand for same sex marriage? Look, I stand with you.

You believe in a brand new religion that worships potatoes? I will let you do you, honey boo boo.

As long as you don't try to convince me that your way is the only way, and that I am bad for not following suit. If most people took adversity as easily as that, we wouldn't have to be worrying about half the things we worry about. And yes, that includes people who drink their own pee. It's not your pee, and you don't have to drink too, so why be so bothered? And for you who does drink their pee, keep doing so, but you don't need to make me believe that I should too.

Mutual respect for different mentalities.

Easy as pie. Hard as cold turkey to swallow.

The important thing here is the respect. When people find things that differ drastically from their own mentality, they tend to pick at it. They judge it while pretending to be interested in hearing more about it. In reality, they are learning every aspect of it so they can better shame it. As long as it doesn't fit our box, we shall scrutinize it until it vanishes from the other person. Except that it won't and all you will get is a new enemy to scoff about.

I do not want to be a hypocrite and stand here and say that I have never made fun of someone or something that differed what I believed to be normal. I have. We all have (come on, no one is an actual goodie two shoes).

But I think I realized it in time to make a change.

It makes you more trust worthy, and it also makes you became a comfort for those who are always being outcasted for their differences. You become someone they know won't judge them for their sixth toe, and in return you get a loyal friend.

When I adopted this mentality of being open to differences, I realized that I gained more than I lost. Sure, most of my friends could not be farther from the way I am, but in that lays newness. I learn from them, I grow from them, and I become more enlightened to the way the world could be by being around them. Isn't that great? To actually see a future that doesn't scare you? To trust that you might just be okay even though they don't see what you see, but they are open to your vision and don't shame you for it.

Imagine if everyone back in the day believed that stones should never touch. No one ever dared to let the stones touch. But someday, some darn outlaw decided that he wanted to make them stones touch, cause ain't nobody gonna tell him what to do. So he smashed the two stones together, and lit the whole village on fire, killing everybody because fire was a new thing they didn't know couldn't be killed with a huge stick.

This darned outcast went against everything he was supposed to stand for because he didn't accept to be just another one of the bunch. He ended up killing everyone which is a huge price to pay for the invention of fire! This darned traitor is the reason we don't eat raw food today and spend a whole lot longer digesting our zuquini.

It's sad but it's true, you must be willing to stand alone in order to spark change (see what I did there). Not everyone is willing to go outside the mold, but if you show them rather than force them to see how it could be, you might not have to be alone for too long.

Quick resume? Your mentality is valid, as is every piece of you. And as is everybody else's. If we can wrap our brains around that, and go about without trying to recruit others and accepting the ones who lead a different path, we will win together.

Remember, "united we stand, divided we fall".

We are all capable of stopping to divide ourselves, and stand together in a diverse group.